Chapter 13 ~ The Cold Shoulder

It had been weeks since our argument. Christmas was almost here and Harry still wouldn't talk to me. Whenever he saw me, he gave me a dirty look and then he would just walk away. Ron and Hermione made attempts to talk to me, so I just let them. I needed someone right now, really, and that was all that mattered to me.

I knew it was going to be hard with Dumbledore's Army now since Harry and I needed to work together in order to make this work. With Harry giving me the cold shoulder, he made it clear that he didn't want to have anything to do with me. I hated it when he was mad at me.

"Expelliarmus!" Neville was trying again to get the spell right, but once again, he failed.

I glanced at Harry, who sighed and continued helping everyone else.

I went over to Neville and grabbed my wand. "Follow my steps." I moved my hand and watched as Neville copied me. "Try again."

He tried again, but received another bad result. "Forget it, Max. I can't do it."

"Yes, you can." I grabbed his hand and caught a glimpse of Harry helping Cho. I knew he liked her, but she was a bitch. Harry didn't deserve her. The way they were looking at each other. I didn't like it.

"Max?" Neville snapped me out of my trance.

I looked back at Neville, quickly shaking my head. "Right, sorry about that." I went back to helping Neville.

I stayed back after the meeting was over. I had nowhere else to go, and this was where I could be alone. There was a mirror in the back of the room, where a picture of Cedric was there. I stared at the picture for a long time. Then, I heard footsteps.

"Hey." It was Ron.

"Hi," I said. "Why aren't you with Harry?"

"I wanted to see you," he replied, standing beside me. "Are you alright?"

"I've been better." I gave him a weak smile and then looked back at the picture of Cedric. "You know, last year, in the graveyard, I realized something. I realized that the people who are easy to talk to are the ones who slip away from us the easiest."

"So you're just pushing everyone away so you don't lose them?"

"That's what it seems like, huh? I'm not trying to push anyone away. But now, I have no one to talk to."

"You can always talk to me, Max." Ron grabbed my hand. "You're one of my best friends. I hope you know that I'm not taking sides, neither is Hermione."

"I know," I said. "Thanks for being there for me when I needed it."

Ron nodded and gave me an awkward smile. Suddenly, a jingling sound was coming from over our heads. We looked up to see that mistletoe had formed. Ron blushed when he looked back at me.

"We don't have to," I told him.

"I know," he said. "But I...I want to."

"Ron..." I whispered.

We were inches away from each other. Both of his hands went behind my head as he pulled me closer so that my lips were on his. I wasn't sure what to feel, what to think.

After long minutes, he pulled away. "Bloody hell."

"Wow," I said. "That was--"

"Wow," Ron repeated after me.

I couldn't help but laugh at him. "Let's...let's not do that again."

He nodded in agreement. "Yeah, you're right." He chuckled and I laughed again.