Chapter 16 ~ Happy Valentine's Day

With Dumbledore gone, guess who was now headmistress?

Umbitch.

I couldn't believe it. She won. She finally won. It wasn't like she did it all on her own. Fudge helped her out. I knew that he did. They planned this the entire time. Ever since our hearing, Fudge had been planning to get back at us and Dumbledore ever since. He still refused to believe that Voldemort was back. Soon, he was going to die if he didn't face the truth sooner or later.

McGonagall let us have one last visit to Hogsmeade for Valentine's Day. Harry was planning to go with Cho, so I decided to go with Ron and Hermione.

Love. I hated it. It just reminded me how much love was painful to me.

We were having breakfast before we left for Hogsmeade. The mail came in earlier than usual and no one knew why. Harry got a card from Cho and I got a package from someone also.

"A package for me?" I asked, confused. "I wonder who sent it."

"Open it and find out," Ron said.

I opened the package and saw the most horrifying thing in there. There were a bunch of dead roses with a fake eyeball and a card. I reluctantly opened the card and read it:

Max,

I will always love you. Even in death, I will be watching over you. Always.

Your dead lover,

Cedric

I looked over at the Slytherin table, where all of Malfoy's friends were roaring with laughter. However, I didn't see Malfoy there. I threw the card back in the box and ran out of the Great Hall, crying. I heard Harry calling after me.

"Max! Max! Talk to me, Max!"

But I ran away from him. I finally lost him and headed for the bathroom, where I threw back up my breakfast. I did that for about five minutes until there was nothing left to vomit. I cleaned myself up and left the bathroom, wiping my red eyes from the tears that came. I saw Malfoy and ran up to him.

"That was a sick joke you pulled back there!" I started hitting him.

"Woah, Potterette! What the hell are you talking about?" Malfoy asked, confused.

"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about! What kind of person sends someone a fake Valentine gift?! I knew you were behind it!" I continued to hit him. "I trusted you, Malfoy!"

"What are you talking about? I didn't send you anything for Valentine's Day." I stopped hitting him, confused at what he just told me. I leaned against the wall, clutching on my stomach. He took notice of this. "Have you eaten anything today?" he blurted out.

"Yes," I replied. "But I just got done throwing it back up."

He sighed and stayed quiet for a moment. "Let me take you to Hogsmeade."

"What?"

"Let me take you to Hogsmeade. It's the least I could do, since your little organization is gone and from whatever sick joke my friends pulled." I looked at him with raised eyebrows. "It's obvious that we don't have dates to Hogsmeade, and it's also obvious that you're having a miserable day so far." I still wasn't convinced. "I'll let you buy whatever you want."

"Okay," I said quickly. "I'll meet you by one of the carriages."

I left to go back to the Great Hall. The box was no longer there when I went to go sit back down. The trio looked at me with worried looks all over their faces.