Chapter 8

Underswap was generally peaceful.

Ink had known Underswap for a very long time, and only rarely did this universe ever have genocide runs.

Only rarely did something go this wrong.

But this.

This was all wrong.

Ink could practically feel Underswap caving in on itself.

The only thing keeping it from collapsing was the human soul that the errored Underswap Sans held in his hand.

Ink knew Underswap Sans. He'd talked to him, spent time with him.

But this.

What had Error done to him? They seemed to know each other.

Ink wobbled to his feet and stood behind Error, watching the two stare down. Underswap Papyrus was shocked and angry, and that didn't surprise Ink at all.

"sO, bluEbERRy, hOw did yOu EscapE thE anti-vOid?" Error asked, his voice hard.

Underswap Sans- Blueberry, it seemed he wanted to be called- laughed.

"LikE you actUaLLY caRE. LEt mE ask you this, ERRoR. whERE wERE you whEn thE anti-void fELL?"

An orange tear fell from Blueberry's eye, leaving a corrosive streak of orange on the blackened bone.

Blueberry turned to Ink.

"and whERE wERE you whEn hE kidnappEd mE? whERE wERE you whEn hE took mE away? whERE wERE you whEn hE thREatEnEd mY timELinE?"

Another corrosive tear of orange fell, leaving a permanent tear streak.

Ink was too horrified to say anything.

Was this what it had been like for Error?

Suddenly, Error Sans seemed a lot more complex and mysterious to him.

It bit at his curiosity.

Ink realized he didn't know very much about the one he called an enemy. Considering the circumstances, did he even have the right to judge Error for his actions without knowing his motives first?

Ink knew he couldn't heal Blueberry. There was no way to heal him of this.

This was who Underswap Sans was now.

"bluEbERRy. shaRE with mE. yOuR diREctivE?" Error asked, breaking Ink out of his thoughts.

Blueberry stiffened up, and recited almost monotonously.

"to hELp and fREE."

~~~~

Error wasn't sure what he was expecting it to be.

Every error had a last thought. It helped to program them. Blueberry's last thought was apparently the need to help and free others.

So selfless.

Error probably would never share his last thought with anyone.

Taking a quick glance behind him at Ink, Error noted his expression. Ink met his gaze, and a very clear question shone in his eyes.

'what?'

Underswap Papyrus chose this moment to speak.

"What did you do to my brother?"

Error turned his gaze to him. Orange magic flamed at the other's eye, and he raised his hand threateningly.

"i havEn't dOnE anything."

Blueberry's expression turned venomous.

"LiaR."