Chapter 20

Ink had fallen to his knees in the snow, his hands covering his face. Sobs wracked his small body, and Error was completely at loss for what to do.

He could barely handle Blueberry crying in the anti-void. That felt like so long ago.

Getting closer seemed like a good idea. Last time he did that, Blueberry had stopped.

Error walked over to Ink's side, the snow crunching beneath his feet, the icy puppet in his hand sending a weird chill up his arm. Other than that, he didn't feel anything from it.

At least Underfell wasn't falling quite yet.

Error sat in the snow by Ink's side, but he didn't think the other noticed.

"ink?" He asked quietly. He got no response, other than the small sounds of crying.

Tentatively, Error poked Ink's shoulder. It was the slightest touch, but Ink looked up, his face stained with tears.

Error offered him the puppet.

The small doll was damp with melted snow, but Ink snatched it and held it close, his breaths shakey.

"Th-thanks."

Ink had stopped crying, but he held the puppet close, still seemingly on the verge of tears.

"Error? Do you know something I like about you?"

Error stayed silent, mostly out of shock. Ink gave him a small smile, wiping his face clear of tears.

"You always surprise me."

The world around them shook violently.

Ink's expression changed to horror, and he looked like he was about to start crying again.

"No..."

"ink, wE havE tO lEavE bEfoRE it's tOO latE."

"But what about Blue?" Ink worried, standing and nearly falling over again as the world gave another violent shake.

"hE'll bE Okay. wE havE tO gO, nOw!"

Ink hesitantly took Error's outstretched hand, and immediately, they disappeared from Underfell.

...

They roughly hit the ground of another universe. Neither of them fell, but both had to squint around in surprise.

It was sunny.

They were standing on top of a mountain, looking out over the surface. A large forest spread out in front of them, a large town just across the trees. The sun shone brightly against the buildings, lighting them up in a dazzling display.

In Ink's hand, the doll disintegrated into dust.

A soft wind blew over them, the dust whisked away by the breeze.

"it's..."

Error couldn't breath, he couldn't think. He didn't even register Ink's hand still in his, the beauty of the surface striking them both speechless.

"this is undERtalE..."

~~~~

Ink tightened his grip on Error's hand, taking in the entire scene before them with absolute awe. He felt a spark of inspiration, to do what, he wasn't sure, but it felt exhilarating.

"Error, let's go find Sans." Ink spoke, excitement lacing his voice. It was hard to tear his eyes away from the mountain view, but he looked over at Error, surprised to see excitement in the other's gaze.

Error actually gave him a wide grin, and they disappeared from the mountaintop.

They reappeared in front of a strikingly familiar house.