Chapter 25

He opened his eyes.

What had he been doing before this?

Standing, he looked around, though there was nothing to see but darkness.

Shrugging, he pulled his paintbrush off his back, escaping through a brushstroke of paint.

Settling back in the Doodle Sphere, he looked up at the many doors that were spread around, floating freely.

He smiled.

These universes were his.

And he would not stand for their destruction.

He was theirs.

They were his.

They belonged to each other.

He called a door close, pressing a hand against it and allowing himself to travel away.

Stars greeted him.

Laughing lightly to himself, he walked beneath them, completely lost in their shine.

Why would someone ever want to be rid of something so beautiful?

The thought made him think of another.

He felt a pressure on his conscience, something he was forgetting, something he didn't remember.

Humming uncomfortably, he pulled his eyes from the stars, glancing down at his hands.

For a moment, he could imagine them being held by held by another.

Although this was strange, and he wanted to know more, he wanted to know what he’d forgotten, he forced himself to push it away.

Maybe he’d go visit another universe.

Maybe he’d go talk to Blue, or Dream.

Another part of him wanted to stay away, to be alone.

But if he were alone, he'd be alone with his thoughts. And that thought alone terrified him.

Maybe he'd visit Blue after all.

Yeah, that's what he'd do. He hadn't seen Blue in so long- it'd be great to see him again.

He'd go to Underswap.

~~~~

It was over.

The journey they’d taken was finally over.

But what was the point if Ink was dead?

And even though the multiverse was back to normal, Blue wasn't.

Blue was still an error.

Papyrus was getting used to it, and they were slowly slipping back into a normal life routine, but it set him on edge.

What would he lose the next time he crashed?

It scared him, but he continued to act his part, smiling and laughing, and being the cheerful little brother.

But now, when he was alone, he could let himself free.

Blue sighed, adjusting the glasses that sat on his face. Undyne had made them for him as soon as they’d gotten their universe back, and he was relieved to be able to see again.

Papyrus was out on patrol, but Blue was absolutely certain that he was sleeping at his sentry station again.

He curled up into a ball on the couch, in the comfortable warmth of his home, and let his thoughts run away.

He tried not to cry. He really did.

He hadn't seen Error ever since the multiverse was revived. And the last time he’d seen Ink, he was glowing with the power they gave him, the power that sent him to his death.

But he’d sacrificed himself for them.

Blue sniffled, wiping hastily at his eyes. Ink wouldn't want him to cry, would he?

He wouldn't, then.

He wouldn't, for his friend.

He ended up crying anyway.