Chapter 3. Presage

Akira stared at this new guy as he extended his hand to Aoba. He was an attractive guy, she had to admit. He kind of reminded her of Mizuki in some way. He's a tall, slender man who has short, strawberry blonde hair. He has light green eyes and very small, but thick eyebrows the same color as his hair. His body is almost entirely covered with piercings, and he has bandages wrapped on both of his hands. He stood about Aoba's height, but was up by one inch. His outfit consists of a dark navy and white collared shirt with a long sleeved black undershirt, a green tie, and multiple badges on his chest pocket and tie. He also had various accessories with an Usagimodoki,a cube-like rabbit, pattern imprinted on them, such as his belt and his hat. He wore dark navy pants and a black and green beanie hat that has a woolen underlayer, a rabbit pattern, and one large smiley face pin.

Instead of touching Aoba, the young man grabbed some kind of tape recorder.

"I've never seen anyone carry these." He stated. He placed it on the desk, indicating he's ready to pay.

"So, would you like to buy it?" Aoba asked, making sure that's what he wanted. The young man didn't answer. Aoba began to ring it up, "If you're not...or, if you want to see something like it, I'd be happy to look in our inventory," Still no response, "And I guess...that maybe you're not...So, uh, how will you be paying?" He scanned a card of his as a response. The area was filled with a stifling silence as Aoba and the young man stared at one another. And with that, he turned and began to walk out of the shop. He stopped and looked to Akira. She stiffened a little. He looked her over, then proceeded to leave.

"Thank you, sir. Please, come back again" Aoba said. Akira swallowed.

"Yeah." She choked.

"Akira. Breathe." Saki instructed. Akira exhaled, realizing she had been holding her breath for some time.

"I've never seen him before." Akira stated, looking to Aoba. He shook his head.

"Me either. Weird guy." Akira nodded.

That evening, when Aoba and Akira were done, they began to make their way back home. They listened to their music, blocking out the loud world around them. This city gets pretty busy around sunset. Traffic around the business district is full of people going home. Ribsteiz members are all over the place, getting into stupid fights and pissing contests on who's on who's turf and whatnot.  And of course, there are the homeless, thanks to the building of Platinum Jail. You can hardly see a tree, a bee, or a bird, because of all of the development. Everyone's just doing what they can to live a good life around here on Midorijima. But, that's subject to change, most would believe. Things are pretty good, right now. Maybe, some people wonder about the city changing too much. Maybe it's because, people wonder about them changing with it.

Sometime on the way, Akira found herself thinking back on her life and how fortunate she has been in this past year. And she owed it all to Aoba and Ren. If not for them, she'd still be a street girl, living a lonely life and being a feared Rhyme game player. And if not that, then she wouldn't be here right now. Aoba and Ren. They both had done so much for her, never asking for anything in return. Akira looked to Aoba, who eventually noticed her and he smiled to her, which she returned. She moved closer, taking his arm in hers and holding his hand.

As the night descended upon the world, Aoba and Akira finally made it home. Aoba pulled out the key to unlock the door, but as he did, it locked.

"What the hell?" He asked.

"What?" Akira asked.

"What's going on?" Ren added.

"I locked the door today, right?" Akira looked down to Ren and they nodded.