Chapter 12. Fixer

Aoba and Akira began to walk after Mink, but he in turn, stopped and looked back to them.

"You need to stay here." He said. Aoba and Akira stopped.

"But, why?" Aoba questioned.

"I changed my mind. You just stay here." Akira narrowed her eyes.

"No way! We're coming. You need us in there." Aoba looked away and Mink stared at the two for a moment.

"Do what you want." He turned and started on his way again, Akira and Aoba following.

Aoba and Akira followed Mink up the stairs, leading to the top floor. Aoba stopped, as he felt Ren pop his head back out from the bag. He looked down to him, seeing the specks of light around his eye.

"Ren. What's going on? There's something weird with your eye." He said. Ren scoffed and turned his head away as Aoba reached to touch him, "Come on, Ren. Let me look." Ren narrowed his eyes, scoffing again, "Hey, come on and turn your head around." Akira had stopped and she and Saki were watching.

"You really need to concern yourself with more important things, Aoba." Ren answered. Saki drew her ears back.

"Ren?" Akira whispered.

"What the hell are you talking about?!" Aoba asked, "How many times have I told you, how much trouble I'd be in without you?"

"Aoba...I'll do what I can to not hold you back."

"I didn't say that at all."

"If I can't do what an Allmate does, I'm nothing better than garbage. I'll do my best not to hold you--"

"Hey! What in the hell are you talking about, anyway, Ren?"

"I'm saying, if I break down here, I'll end up being a burden to you."

"I didn't mean that! I'm trying to tell you, that I'm worried about you, you little blue smartass fuzzball!" Ren looked back to him with a hostile look.

"It's fine. I really don't want to trouble you over this." Aoba grit his teeth.

"That's a bunch of--"

"Saki?" Akira asked, speaking quietly.

"It's the virus within him. It's taking a toll on his body and personality." Saki answered, also speaking quietly.

"What are you doing?" Mink's voice suddenly asked. Aoba and Akira looked up to him.

"Nothing." Aoba answered. With that, he and Akira proceeded to follow Mink up. Saki looked back to Ren and she flattened her ears to her head. It was strange, even though Allmates can develop personalities, emotions were something they knew about. But, seeing Ren like this, Saki was actually feeling something. It hurt and her throat and chest felt very tight. Is this...what sadness felt like? Saki suddenly leapt down from Akira's back and she raced to Aoba. Ren looked to her and she jumped to Aoba's bag. Aoba made sure she wouldn't fall and as Ren stared up at Saki, she suddenly rested her head on his shoulder. His ears twitched and Saki let out a sad meow, followed by a purr.

Aoba, Akira, and Mink came to a locked door. Mink hovered his hand beside the lock, clicking on his watch and allowed it to scan and eventually unlock. They entered inside the room, seeing about four screens, three of which were on a long desk, and the fourth being a large screen on the wall. Mink walked to the computers, his watch getting by the passwords and then opening up a screen that showed scientists around a young man. Akira let out a gasp.

"Wait. Isn't this Toue's...?" Aoba asked.

"Place where he monitors all of his mind control gadgets? Yeah, definitely." Mink answered, "You want to keep his little party from happening? This is the best place to do it. We sabotage it all from here," He looked to Aoba and Akira, "The entire operation."  He stood up straight, for he had been leaning over the desk a little, "And then I take care of the boss. And by that, I mean, I kill him."