The Mission

Max and Hunter had taken their leave, they had gone to Boylan's for a drink, and whilst Josh had gone to the bathroom, Skye seized the moment of solitude. She began strumming on the Guitar again, humming to herself, slowly turning to lyrics.

As I was goin' over the Cork and Kerry mountains

I saw Captain Farrell and his money he was countin'

I first produced my pistol and then produced my rapier

I said stand and deliver or the devil he may take you

Josh hadn't heard the song before, but it had a charm to it as she sung. He lent in the doorway and listened to the next verse, trying to ignore the pain in his ribs.

I took all of his money and it was a pretty penny

I took all of his money yeah and I brought it home to Molly

She swore that she'd love me, no never would she leave me

But the devil take that woman yeah for you know she tricked me easy

He swore as the floor boards creaked below him, Skye almost dropped the guitar at the sound. Josh smiled at her, watching as she blushed and sat the instrument on the ground.

"What song was that, I've never heard it before" He chuckled

"Uh, my dad used to sing it all the time, kinda stuck" Skye fiddled with her fingers

"What's it called" Josh lowered himself down beside her, wincing slightly

"Whisky in the Jar, its a bit of a sad story, but a good song" She laughed at the name

"Can you play the rest of it for me"

She took a breath and tried to say about five different things, not voicing any of them. He lifted the Guitar and waved it to her.

"Fine, but the next song sung, will be by you" Skye winked at him and took the Guitar

Finding the Next chord, she began...

________________________________________________________________________________

As night fell, Emily shook Curran awake, stretching when he finally regained consciousness. She untied her ropes and stuffed them into her pack, then began inching down the tree. Curran started to follow her but felt a jolt run through his leg, Emily was stopping him for some reason. A few seconds past and she still would not let him go, he lent down to whisper to her but froze before he said a word. Two Phoenix soldiers had begun their shift and were leaning against the tree. Curran carefully pried a pine cone from its branch and threw it into a nearby rock cluster, making a rather loud crack. The soldiers readied their pistols and carefully moved towards the noise. Emily released Curran and silently dropped from the tree, hurrying to the bushes.

"That was close" Curran chuckled as he crouched next to her

Emily nodded and inched towards the tent that projected Lucas' shadow on its canvas walls. He was scribbling notes down furiously and rubbing his temples over and over again. Curran craned his head and saw the small pulsing rip that had a similar structure around it as the one in Hope Plaza, only it wasn't stable, it flashed every now and then, brightly. Emily pulled a small device from her pocket and aimed it at the ropes securing the tent.

"What is that" He asked

"Shannon gave it to me" She grinned and pushed the button

A faint red line shone out and burnt the ropes, dropping the tent onto a furious Lucas. Emily struggled to stifle her laughter as the other soldiers frantically tried to free him. She pointed the lazer at one of the rovers, straight through the engine. It smoked for a second, then burst into flames. Curran snickered and put his hand out, silently asking for a turn. Emily smiled and handed it to him, slower than necessary. Curran pulled his eyes away from her and eyed the clearing for something to destroy, then it hit him, take out the support for the rip. He aimed and quickly sliced through the metal, hiding as more men ran about. In all the madness, the tent had gotten caught in the fire, turning it to ash in a matter of seconds.

"NO" Lucas screamed, watching weeks worth of calculations literally go up in smoke

Curran and Emily slowly moved away, careful not to drag any attention, though doubtful that anyone could look away from the carnage. They laughed as they ran, watching as the neared the five click mark.

"Come in TN, come it" Curran gasped "This is Recon team, do you read over"

"This is TN, we read you loud and clear RT" Taylor answered "You sound out of breath, is everything ok"

"Yeah, we just thought that it was best to make a quick escape before we were seen" Emily cut in

"Well, I'm sure you can tell us why you though that was best later" He moved to the gps screen "We have your location, keep moving south, we'll meet you half way"

"Copy that Commander" Curran stated "Over and out"