The Escape

"So it seems that it was a great idea" Maddy stated, glancing at Mark "Lucas is now far behind in his work and has shown that, without the Sixers, they can't stalk our movements"

"This time we were lucky, we don't have all of them, it was surprising that Lucas didn't have everyone on patrol" He was kicking a stone as they walked

"It's still hard for you, isn't it" She said

"What do you mean" Mark missed the rock

"With Emily being back, you never had the chance to fall out of love with her"

"We were 15" He shrugged

"She still meant something to you, and dissapearing like that would have made the wanting her even greater" Maddy was right

"It doesn't matter now anyway. She's home, I have you and we are safe, for now" He choked

'For now' Maddy didn't like that, it was true though, The Phoenix soldiers were yet to attack and everyone was anxious. Taylor questioned Mira everyday and it still didn't provide any more answers, it was getting to her dad too, he was itching to know more.

"Well, I am in need of some lunch, care to join me, Milady" Mark jokingly bowed to her

Maddy giggled and took his arm "Why of course good sir"

She knew he wanted to change the subject, he didn't want to keep Emily on his mind, but she still wanted him to talk, to get it out of his system. Mark stopped suddenly, he turned to Maddy and mumbled something about a forgotten shift, with a kiss on her cheek, Mark hurried off in the other direction.

"Mark" She called, he didn't answer

Maddy turned back to the markets, she was hungry, and realized why he had left. Curran and Emily were sitting on the gravel, talking and eating. They both looked so casual, comfortable, and very close to each other. Maddy looked over her shoulder once more before heading over to them.

"Hey, congratulations about the mission" She smiled at them

Curran swallowed his mouthful "Thanks, it was fun actually, score one for the colony"

Emily chuckled and spoke "I was terrified about going all the way out there, but I'm glad I did"

"Have you remembered anything else" Maddy pried

"A few bits and pieces, my last day here, my parents, how to play poker"

"Yeah, I'm glad we're not playing with real Terras or I'd be broke" Curran nudged Emily

"Well, I'm glad you're remembering, I'll leave you to your lunch" Maddy waved and left

________________________________________________________________________________

Guzman was starting his watch when a rover broke the tree line, Sixer vehicle, it was flying towards the gate. He slid down the ladder into Taylors office and called over the railing.

"SIXERS"

Taylor and Jim ran to the gate, watching the rover bounce over the terrain. It wasn't slowing down, it was headed straight for them at break neck speed.

"OPEN THE GATE, EVERYONE, OUT OF THE WAY" He ran for the road blocks "GET THESE INTO POSITION"

The soldiers and every abled body rolled the large blocks into the path of the rover. The stone slabs locked into place and stood strong, waiting for the vehicle that was closing in. All the people had moved away and braced for a major impact. The rover hit so hard that it almost crushed itself into a pancake, the slabs shook violently but held together. Taylor ran to the car, checking for survivors. It was empty.

"SHUT THE GATE" Taylor shouted, seeing the slab of meat in the back

Two Nikos reeled back as the gate closed before them, crying out at their missed meal. Taylor looked at Guz and Jim, then it hit him.

"Check the prisoners"

The three of them ran to the holding cells, swearing at their stupidity. It was one of their rovers, it had to be a rescue mission. Jim rounded the corner first, watching as Carter neared the door.

"Hold it" He yelled, catching his breath and reaching for his gun

Carter turned and fired, hitting Jim in the shoulder sending him flying back into the wall. Carter opened the cell and handed out the weapons he was able to carry with him. They dodged Taylor and Guzmans shots and took an alternate route out, running for the fence.

"The prisoners are out, I repeat, the prisoners are escaping" Taylor called over the comm "All soldiers, shoot to apprehend"

Jim stumbled to his feet, bracing himself against the wall and tried to follow Taylor. He stopped just as her rounded the next corner, looking into the cell window. They'd forgotten their leader. His legs shook and gave out, dropping him on the floor. Jim smiled before the concussion finally took over.

"CARTER" Curran lifted his pistol, aiming just behind them

The shock of the blast knocked the five of them to the ground. As they made their second attempt to the fence, carter realized something, where was Mira. He hit the fence first, sliding under it, then the others followed. Mark just missed them as they flew into the trees.

"Dammit" He swore "Taylor, we missed them"