Chapter 2

"It was an accident."

I followed Mr. Anderson to the main office. He is fuming with anger. I don't know why he's so angry when he's not the one that got coffee spilled all over him. God is he a tough nut to crack. I'm apologizing on behalf of coffee guy whose name I have yet to know. I don't want to be the cause of someone's life to be ruined even though its hardly my fault. Maybe partly. But that's not the point. I am here to make amends, not war.

"Are you gonna ignore me the entire time Mr. Anderson?" I ask.

Silence.

"You shouldn't have fired him. That was inappropriate. It was an accident. Had I not rushed to get in the elevator I wouldn't even have bumped into him. It was partly my fault. He shouldn't need to be fired because of me." I plead looking at Mr. Anderson but not meeting his eye.

"Should I fire you instead Miss Grayson?" He looks at me with his brows raised.

"What? What did I do?" I ask in disbelief.

"You just admitted that it was your fault." He said.

"But..but I was just trying to..to help coffee guy and..and I felt bad.." I stammer. I have a had habit of stammering when I'm extremely nervous. Just as I start rambling nonsense the door swung open. A woman in her mid 20s came in looking all flushed. She looks beautiful with her blonde hair curled perfectly just beyond her shoulders.

"How could you do this to me Luke?" She literally screamed.

"Samantha not here, please." Lucas groaned slightly irritated.

"No! You can't order me around like one of your employees. I am not someone you pay to work for you. What am I to you Luke?" The woman is on the verge of tears now.

"Samantha!" Lucas seethed. He looks so angry its almost scary. I keep a mental note to never mess with him, Angry Lucas Anderson is even more scary than Gordon Ramsay in the kitchen.

"You are not gonna embarrass me in front of my employees. Leave right now. We can talk later. I'll stop by your house later on." He says as if refraining his anger. "Now, leave while I'm being nice."

She glares straight at him. "Huh! Nice and you don't live in the same universe! I'm sick and tired of you always expecting me to do whatever you ask of me. I'm sick of you always ordering me around. And the one time..just the one time I need you to do something with me, you stood me up!" She says, tears now pooling in her eyes.

"Do you know how embarrassed I was?!" She cries.

Lucas approached to console her, his anger now seems to be dissipating at the sight of seeing her cry. Guess the beast has a weakness after all, who would've thought. As Lucas reached to grab her arm, Samantha moved back not letting him near her. Lucas looks shocked to see her react this way.

"Samantha please" he says.

"No! Enough is enough. I'm done with you Luke. We're done." She looks at him with such emotion I can't quite decipher. She storms out of the office and ran towards the elevator. Lucas ran after her but stop short at the doorway. He takes a deep breath and exhales. Even from his back I can sense how upset he is, angry even more so. I glance his way but I don't know what to do. This is as awkward as the time when I had to dance at a zoo. Yes it happened. What am I gonna do?

"Mr Anderson? Is everything okay?" I say softly, my voice coming out as barely whispers. I don't wanna provoke him further. I still want to live, thank you very much.

"Miss Grayson you may leave the office for today." he says without looking at me. He approached his desk and sat down with a huff.

"But we just got here..and this is my first day of work. There must be tons of work to do or..some papers to sort out. I..I can't just leave." I stammer yet again. Why is he suddenly asking me to leave? Wait is he firing me?

I gasp at he sudden realisation. "Are you firing me? No you can't fire me just yet Mr. Anderson. This job is so important to me. I still have a lot to prove. I'll be really good. I'll..I'll even work on weekends. I just...I really need this job Mr. Anderson. I swear..."

"Miss Grayson I said leave me alone!" He raises his voice cutting me from rambling.

I look at him with scared eyes. He sees my expression and he calms down instantly. He sighs and his jaw clenches.

"I just want you to leave me for the day okay? No ones firing anyone. I just need to be alone Miss Grayson." He states more calmly.

So I leave him. This is such a terrible way to start work. I got coffee spilled on me, I witnessed some serious soap opera which I would love to watch if I saw it on television but this is my boss so its not fun at all. And I'm kicked out on my first day of work. Could this day get any worse? I groan internally.

I'm still shocked from his behavior as I walk out of the office building. No one's ever shouted at me like that. The look in his eyes when he asked me to leave holds so much anger its even scary just imagining it. My heart is pounding in my chest, my breath hitches. I take deep breaths as I try to calm myself down. Inhale. Exhale. That was scary. I would quit my job if I hadn't need the money so much. I need to pay the bills, pay for the apartment. It was really hard to get an apartment on a low budget. I can't lose my job. I need it more than anything. I can't ever go back home. I took a cab to my apartment. When I got home there was a box by the door. I don't remember ordering anything online. I pick up the box and take it inside. I wonder who would send me anything since I just moved here. I opened it and see a familiar stuffed teddy bear.

"Mom." I say as I hug it close to me.

**************************************