Chapter 6

I walk through the office. Lucas said I needed to meet him after office hours. I hope he's cooled down by now.

Taking a deep breath I knock on his office door.

"Come in." I hear his voice.

I open the door and step inside. I see him standing behind his desk with a pen in one hand and a file on the other. His eyebrows are furrowed as he stares deeply at his file.

"Mr. Anderson?" I call out.

He takes his eye away from his file to look at me and instructs me to sit down, then he looks at his file once again.

I pull the chair out making a screeching sound as it slides across the floor, I sit down and pull my chair closer to the table.

He takes a seat in front of me. He puts his file down but his pen is still in between his thumb and his index finger.

"I see you had a talk with my mother." He glances at me.

"Yes." I look away slightly uncomfortable with the way he's looking at me.

"But Mr. Anderson I didn't tell her to say any of that, trust me." I retort quickly.

"I know." Says Lucas with a smile on his features. He recovers it quickly with a serious expression.

"So you're not gonna fire me?" I ask him cautiously.

He chuckles.

"You must really love this job since you're so afraid that I'll fire you every time something happens. So what is it Miss Grayson? You really love working for me or you need the money?"

I look at him trying to read his face to make sure he's not just messing with me. He looks genuinely curious as to why I need this job.

"I'd say the latter but I don't think it would do me very well if I say that I don't like working with you. I need the money to pay for my rent as I live alone. But its not so bad working here." I say looking down at my hands.

"Miss Grayson, you can be honest with me." He says. "If my mother likes you then you're probably not a terrible person. I know you're not exactly the best employee I've had since I've run the company but I gotta admit you do take work seriously. You're still young, you should be enjoying life, making stupid mistakes but you're here. Why?" He looks at me straight in the eyes.

I can't lie when he's looking at me like that. But I can't tell him the truth either.

"I can always know who's a runaway when I see one." He says putting down his pen on the table.

What? He knows?

"Uhm..yeah that's kinda true but.." I sigh. "Yes, I ran away from home." I admit.

"You don't need to be embarrassed Miss Grayson. Its normal to want to start your own life but all I need to know is why?" He questions.

I really don't feel like sharing my personal life with him. I bite my lower lip as I think of an excuse.

"My parents got divorced." I lie.

"Oh." He sounds remorseful. "Sorry to hear that. Just making sure you're not some most wanted criminal." He jokes. I can see he's trying to lighten the mood.

A smile leave my lips. "No, I assure you I'm nothing sort of a criminal. Just a small town girl."

He looks at me, his eyes lingering on mine for a tense moment, then he turns away.

"Come on, I'll drop you off." He says as he stands up from the chair.

"There's no need. I can take a cab Mr Anderson." I follow him outside.