Chapter 23

Matt dropped me off at my house, after our visit to Mary's house. We enter the house but dad and Claire are not home. We settle down on the couch, both exhausted from all the ride we had today.

"Ems what will you do?" Matt asks me again.

"I don't know, Matt. I kind of feel bad for her you know, its not exactly her fault she ended up like this. But that doesn't mean I can forgive her for what she did to me." I sigh.

"I understand. Just know that whatever you decide, I'm with you okay?" Matt turns his head to me.

"I know." I offer him a small smile. "What do you think I should do?" I ask him. He's always been the one I turn to when I can't decide about something.

"To be honest, I don't know either." Matt shrugs. "Maybe you should learn to forgive her. I know that must be hard for you Ems, I know but it'll be the only way you will be able to have peace with yourself and also with Claire. Don't let hatred be in the way of your happiness." Matt says. See this is what I'm talking about. He always thinks rationally.

"Yeah you're right. But I'm not sure whether I can forgive her right away but I'll try." I agree with Matt. "I want to help her, Matt. I want to help her see that not all people are bad, there are some who will love her unconditionally no matter what. I want her to know that she can be better, if she tries."

"Yeah I'm with you. We'll help her together okay?" Matt says. "But right now I need to go home. Got a major project to work on." He stands up from the couch.

"Okay I'll see you tomorrow." I tell him and bid him goodnight.

Claire and dad must've gone out for dinner. So I decide to make myself an egg Benedict. I can't help but think about Lucas. He has not even called yet. I'm starting to wonder if he ever really cared for me at all. If he did care, he would have listened to m before deciding to hate on me the moment he found out the truth.

The door swungs open just as I finish my food. I turn my head towards the door and see that its Claire. Now that I know about what she went through, I feel sorry for her when I see her.

"Claire." I address her.

"Did I just hear you call my name?" She drops her bag on the table, heading towards me. "Where's your bodyguard?" She raises one brow at me. She takes out a water bottle from the fridge and drinks it.

I roll my eyes at her. "Matt had work to do." I tell her.

"Oh you sure you won't be scared at night? Sleeping all alone?" She taunts me. "There may be demons lurking around here, you know." She smirks.

"You don't have to be this way, Claire." I tell her, quietly. Even if I hate this woman, I still want to help her. Its not her fault she turned out this way. I want to help her break out of her shell, by learning that its okay to be hurt before. I just hope she lets me.

"What?" She sounds surprised to hear me say that.

"You don't have to be this way. I understand what you must be feeling after all you went through." I tell her, secretly praying she won't lash out on me again.

"What did you say?" She puts down her water bottle, staring at me.

"I know what you went through when you were young. You don't have to be the same person as your dad, Claire. You can be better." I stand up in front of her.

"How dare you!" She yells and slaps me right across the face.

My hand immediately cups my cheek after she slapped me, tears brimming in my eyes from the impact. I turn my head up, looking straight into her eyes, biting my lower lip to keep myself from crying.