Chapter 29

I slept in Matt's room last night, I couldn't stay with Lucas after our talk. I know I will probably cry or beg, maybe both if I stayed longer so I left him alone. He didn't come down for dinner so I assumed he didn't want to see me either.

Matt slept on the couch, I feel bad that Matt can't even sleep on his own bed. But he insisted that I take the bed so I obliged. I don't know what I'd honestly do without Matt. He's always been there for me when I'm in trouble, he always lends me a shoulder to cry on. Everyone deserves a best friend like Matt, someone who will let you be your weird old self but love you nonetheless.

Today is the day Claire will be bailed out, so I asked the officers if I could meet her before she gets out. Dad has been calling me, telling me that I should change my mind. But I'm adamant about about this.

"Ems you ready?" I hear Matt's voice from outside his room.

"Yeah I'll be right out." I answer. I take a deep breath, to calm my nerves. I tell myself that this is the right thing to do. Mom would have wanted me to do this.

I open the door, seeing Matt leaning against the wall. "You sure about this?" He asks me again. Everyone keeps asking me this same question, its starting to get annoying.

"Yes!" I say, for what seemed like the hundreth time.

We both head downstairs, approaching the kitchen. Janet is busy making breakfast. Once she notices us, she smiles, "Good Morning guys. I made you breakfast."

Matt and I mutter a thanks, and takes a seat. I find myself looking for Lucas, he's been quiet all morning.

"Janet where's Lucas?" I ask her.

Her expression falters a bit when I asked her. "He left early in the morning." She finally answers, looking sorry.

My chest aches when I heard that. He left without even a goodbye. I thought he would at least spend the morning with me. Well I guess I was right about him not caring about me at all.

"Ems you okay?" Matt nudges me, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Yeah I'm fine." I try to smile. I know Matt sees right through me, but I'm glad he doesn't push me further.

The front door opens and my father walks in, with some papers in his hands. Once he sees us, he walks towards us, with a sour expression.

"Amelia look." He puts the paper in front of me. "I'm divorcing Claire."

"What?" I say, standing up. "Dad you can't do this to her."

"Of course I can! She hurt you! I'm never gonna forgive her." My dad practically shouts.

"All this time I've been telling you that and you never listened to me right? Just listen to me this time dad. She needs help, not jail." I plead.

"How can you say that so easily Amelia?" My father looks as me in disbelief.

"Because I know exactly how she feels okay? I went through the same thing. She's only acting this way because no one has ever shown her any affection." I exhale, composing myself so I don't cry again. "Even you Dad. You don't love her do you? You're only marrying her because you're trying to forget about Mom."

"Amelia that's not true."

"I know you don't care about either of us. That's why you always left home. Have you ever considered that Claire might feel lonely? Or I might need my dad?" I ask him.

"Amelia please don't be like this." He says, his eyes gloomy.

"Dad do you even hear what I'm saying?" I ask him.