.43

I again find myself looking in the mirror, making sure I look presentable for dinner with Jason tonight. It's Sunday night and he's coming over to my place to try a new recipe I discovered not too long ago.

When I hear the knocks on the door, I fluff my hair a little more before walking out the bathroom and heading for the front door.

I peep in the peephole before smiling and opening the door. I greet him as he steps inside and quickly close the door so the cold wind doesn't get inside.

"Hey," I smile as I help him take off his coat. He turns around after taking it off to peck my lips and smile, "Hey."

I take his coat to hang up, seeing we're both dressing casual. I walk down the hall to put away his coat while he calls from the living room, "It smells amazing in here, Brielle!"

"Guess you're in for a treat then, huh?!" I smile back, closing the door as I hear the oven timer go off.

I trot to the living room, realizing Jason was looking around like he usually does when he comes over. I grab his arm with two hands with a bright smile, "Come on, food's ready!"

"Someone's excited." He chuckles as I pull him to the dining room.

"What? It's a new recipe and I don't usually cook dinner," I defend playfully, "And I figured you'd be the perfect judge."

"Well I'm honored." He chuckles, kissing my cheek before taking a seat.

I smile and speed walk out the dining room back to the kitchen to take the meat and potatoes from the oven and put them on the stove. I take my oven mitt off and put it on the counter before turning off the oven and grabbing plates and silverware. I rinse them off before taking a large cutting knife to slice the meat. I distribute it evenly on both plates, less than half of the small pan being left over.

I grab the wooden spoon and start scooping the cooked potatoes onto each plate. I put each dish back into the oven to keep warm before placing forks and knives on each plate and grabbing two glasses. I take an unopened bottle of wine, all of the dinner French. Literally.

I smile and take the glasses in one hand, the bottle in the other, and the plates balancing on my arm.

I make my way to the dining room, and Jason slightly frowns when he sees how full my arms are.

"I could've helped, Bri."

I smile as I put the bottle down first, then the plates and glasses, "I'm a waitress, Jason. Trust me, I'm a pro at this."

He smiles a little before it deepens as he looks down at his plate. "Wow," He whispers, "This looks delicious."

I begin to pour our glasses of wine, "I hope so."

I was actually nervous. As said before, I don't really cook dinner and this was a new recipe. And I wanted Jason to taste the best because he deserves the best.

I hand his glass over to him across the table as I sit down, then take my fork and knife in my hand.

"So, what do you call this new recipe?" He asks, smirking as he looks back up to me and starts cutting the roast with his knife and fork.

"Well, the chicken is called Coq Au Vin. It's made with roast, fresh mushrooms and a little yellow onion, it's layered with crisp bacon, seasoned with salt and pepper, marinated in red wine and powdered with a thin layer of flour before being baked in the oven. The side is a dish called Gratin Dauphinois de Solange. They're potatoes seasoned with again salt and pepper, a pinch of garlic, layered with heavy creme, breadcrumbs, diced vegetables and different types of cheese. The top layer is browned Comte cheese that's buttered and ..." I look at his sparkling green eyes and warm smirk. I lower my head and titter embarrassedly, "And I am talking way too much."