Chapter 21*

last update for today, kids.

## == ## == ##

I was lucky that Sarah wanted to take me back in. I just felt pathetic, though, for knocking on her door and bursting into tears the second she opened it.

Of course, I wasn't really able to explain to her what had happened. But she could see how much it was hurting me, so she didn't pry too much anyway. She was quick to form her own opinion about her boss, and being pissed off at him was definitely part of it.

Only a few days had passed, and I felt absolutely miserable. It was almost impossible to get me out of bed, even when Sarah tried so hard.

A few stray tears left my sore, red eyes as she sat on the edge of my bed, running her fingers through my hair. "He's just another asshole, Lolly. Please try to forget about him." She whispered, almost desperately.

"I can't help it, Sarah, I love him." I blubbered pathetically. That was my problem. It had been my problem all along.

"Oh, Lolly. . ." Sarah whined sympathetically. "He isn't worth it, okay? Just—" She wanted to say more, but the bell at the front door ringing furiously was what interrupted her. She groaned, getting up. "I'll be right back." She then said before leaving the room.

Perhaps the way I felt wasn't worth it, but I truly couldn't help myself. I fell in love with him. I fell in love with his voice, his face, the way he held me, the way he kissed me. . . and I gave him everything. But it wasn't enough.

"Is Kolleen here?" I heard the painfully familiar voice ask, my breath instantly hitching in my throat. Andy was at the door? What was he doing here?

I swallowed hard, scared, as I sat up in my bed. I quickly wiped away my tears, debating whether I should go to the door or not. I really wasn't sure what to do.

"I hope this won't affect my position at the office, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't need to see your ass, buddy. You've done enough damage already." Sarah snapped at him, shocking me a little.

I mean, I knew Sarah wasn't afraid to say what she really thought, but what if she lost her job over it? Oh my god, it would be entirely my fault.

"Look, can you please just give her this? It belongs to her." I heard Andy say, his voice sounding rough.

"Sure, whatever."

The door closed and seconds later, Sarah came back into the room. "Was that really him?" I wanted to know, noticing that I sounded just a bit too desperate.

"Yeah." She responded with a deep sigh. "And he looked like total shit, too. Serves him right." She then murmured before plumping down beside me on the bed again.

I let my eyes drop down to my hands, fumbling around aimlessly with my fingers. I was in such a conflict with myself. I really wanted to hate Andy, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

"He wanted me to give you this." Sarah then murmured with obvious distaste in her voice, dropping the lollypop necklace into my hands.

I stared at it for a moment, confused. Why would he want me to have it? I thought he gave this to me because I meant something to him. Boy, was I wrong. All I was to him was a piece of property that he could change and control.

I closed my hand around the necklace, tears falling from my eyes yet again.

"Goddamnit, I'm so sorry Lolly." Sarah sighed as she wrapped me up in her arms. "You're gonna be okay, I promise."

I really wished that she wouldn't make promises like that, though. Perhaps it sounded pathetic, but I really didn't know how I was going to get over this. No matter how much time would pass, I was scared I'd always keep loving him.

A mere eight days had passed in total since I left Andy's place, but I really wasn't feeling the least bit okay. Even after the day that he had dropped by to bring the necklace, nothing felt better.

I stuffed the necklace somewhere in my bedside table and tried to forget about it. But really, whom was I kidding? I should've just thrown it away, but I couldn't get myself to do it. I just really couldn't.

On the ninth day, I finally went out for lunch with my mother, after ignoring her calls for days on end. It was difficult to tell her what happened, also because I couldn't tell her the details either. She noticed this, of course. And it made me feel even worse because there was actually no one that I could really talk to.

"He was just too good to be true, huh?" Mum asked me carefully.

I nodded slowly. I had managed so far to keep myself from crying. I really didn't want to start in public.

"I suppose that is the problem with rich boys. . . they think that they can satisfy you with money and presents, but that's not what love is about."

Mum obviously had her assumptions about what really happened between us. She couldn't be further from the truth, though, but she'd never really know that.

"Well, I need to head back home, darling. Your dad is sick and you know how dramatic the man can be."

I chuckled a little and nodded knowingly, laughing for the first time since all of this had happened. "I miss daddy." I said softly, not sure which one I meant even as I said it.

Mum shot me a sympathetic look. "Well, then you should drop by sometime. . . stay for a week or something." She suggested, squeezing my arm reassuringly. "Take Sarah with you, if you want."

I nodded slowly, trying to fight back the tears that were ready to burst. "Yeah, sure, I'll think about it." I said, attempting to give her my best smile.

She smiled back, hugging me tight. Each second it was becoming harder not to break down and I really hated feeling the way I did.

Mum paid the bill and we both left the cute sandwich shop, saying our goodbyes before she took a cab back home as I waited for the bus. Perhaps I needed a drink or something. Yeah, maybe that was a good idea; go out with Sarah for some drinks. Perfect.

"Kolleen? Is that you?"

Oh god.

I cautiously turned around, my heart leaping from my throat as I watched Andy approach. He frowned, worry in his eyes, but at the same time he was smiling.

No. No way. No, no, no! I didn't need this. I didn't want this. Oh god, why was this happening? I was properly freaking out at that point. This really was not the right time, not that ever was.

"Hey, how are you doing?" He asked me, somehow sounding genuinely interested.

I took a deep, shaky breath, attempting to avoid looking into his eyes. I just knew that if I did, I'd instantly start crying. I felt it.

"Don't do this." I only just managed to say to him, looking out to the road, hoping for my bus to just arrive already. "Don't talk to me like nothing happened." I then added, clenching my teeth together.

Andy sighed. "Baby, I'm sorry—" He started, but I was quicker than ever to cut him off right then and there.

"Don't you baby me!" I snapped, our eyes finally locking. "You don't have the right!" And that's when the tears started rolling, just as I had expected. The second I looked into his icy blue eyes, I felt my heart breaking all over again.

"Kolleen, please, can we meet somewhere and talk? I want you back." Andy then told me, his frown somehow going sad.

I bit the inside of my cheek as my tears momentarily blinded me. I quickly wiped them away, frustrated and confused. He wanted me back? Why? Just so I could be his property again? So he could continue treating me like a child?

"I want to make things right. Please." He pleaded softly. "I miss you."