Prologue

PROLOGUE:

The key to survival, is not ‘kill or be killed’ or to attack, but is to keep hidden; away from others, where nobody can hear, see, nor find you, and to only attack as a defense for yourself against danger. But what if you don’t have the option to hide- if, perhaps, you were held captive or hostage by, possibly, the most dangerous person you were to ever know? And, say, perhaps this person was to devote his entire life- everything that meant anything to him, to you; would you feel safe, or in even more danger? But it gets worse- If his idea of protecting you; preserving you, keeping you as his own, was to isolate you from the rest of the world? If his way to show he truly loved you, included torturing and hurting you, or killing others, just for you; would you love him?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I’ve never really thought about my life, or what I plan on doing with it. Of course, now may be too late. I’m not sure if I even have my life anymore; do I? whatever the case, I never expected it to go downhill- or at least, not this way.

They say home is where the heart is; maybe that’s why I am always so cold; why it feels like a dead end at every turn. Maybe this is why I don’t really have any reason to live anymore; why I’m drowning inside my own body.

My name is Envy Rale; I have no home. My home is ash- surrounded and coated with the thick waters of my past. My family is gone- well, most of it is; my real family, that is. If I hadn’t left Skarsity- if only I hadn’t left, my faded home, I may never have endured what has come my way, all in just the past few months. He wouldn’t have found me; we never would have met. How nice that would have been.

Why does he love me; how could he? We are nowhere close to alikeness, if at all. Maybe it’s because I’m weak, small; easy to force into submission. If only I hadn’t fallen for his tricks, I wouldn’t be in this mess.

If only…