Chapter 3: The Attack

I bolted out from the washroom, heading straight for Kirsten. She was still screaming, trying to get help I guess. I could see the pain in her eyes, and yet he just kept dragging her across the floor. I just couldn't help but watch the event happen, even though I never stopped. Just a few seconds later, he pulled her up against the wall; again, by her hair.

"Stop it Kato!" she screamed. I guess Kato was his name? "You're hurting me!"

Immediately after she said that, he slapped her once, hard across her face, "That's the point, you little rat." he shouted back at her.

I couldn't take this anymore, and I slowly backed away, soon tripping over my own feet. He looked back at me, I just nervously waved 'hi' and he turned back to Kirsten. Next, he yanked a small, sharp knife out from his leg, which I hadn't noticed until now, and gently placed it right up against her neck, not leaving a single scratch.

"W-w-what are y-you d-d-d-doing?" Kirsten stammered.

"Shut up," he growled back, pressing is closer against her neck, "You scared?" he gave her this creepy grin. Kirsten just swallowed hard and nodded slightly.

"This happens a lot..." some girl whispered beside me. Her hair was long, straight, and a dark brown. Her deep green eyes slanted upward slightly, creating a Caucasian look, "Just keep watching. You'll see what happens next." My jaw dropped open. All I heard next was the two of them talking, then he let go of her and she fell to the ground.

"Now shut up!" he shouted back, threw the knife just next to her, and slammed the door on his way out. I ran over to Kirsten after he left. By the time I got over there, she was crying quietly, right where he had left her.

"What's with him?" I asked her. She looked up at me, softly wiping away the tears.

"Nothing..." she replied back. I cocked my head to the right, as if to ask 'oh really?' then she sighed, "Its just..." I leaned in closer, resting my hand on her shoulder. She swiftly wiped it off with her right hand, the other one resting in her lap. Tears began to once again, flow down her cheeks, "He always does this to me!" she sobbed, "He always comes looking for me, and then when he does, he jus tries to find more ways to hurt me!" she leaned forwards and smothered her face in my arms.

I didn't know what to do about her problem. It was obviously much too dangerous to just go and try to work it out. I continued deeply thinking, literally to the very core of my mind. What would happen if I got caught up in all this? And if I did, what would I say? I can't just go up and ask for it to stop. I kept digging deeper into my mind, oblivious to the surroundings. What would he do to me? Would I die? Would he just let me go? And why does he do this stuff to her? Does he do it to anyone else? Or is it just her who receives the constant beatings?

I was so caught up in my thoughts, that I didn't even realize how much time I had spent sitting on the floor, just thinking. By the time I had snapped out of it, nearly two hours had passed, and everyone had left. Out to dinner, probably; it was almost 17:30. When I looked down, just barely touching my foot, was a small note. The note was written in a thick black ink, the ink still dripping. The paper, which the note was written on, was just a little scrap piece of paper, which looked like something had been spilled on it. Possibly coffee? Tea? Well, it didn't matter anyways. In the black ink, the note read:

Hey,

Heard you were new here. Come drop by room 207 on the main floor at 21:00. It would be really nice to meet you J See ya there :D

~Hira

P.S whatchya thinking about?

I didn't know whether to be happy, surprised, or confused. And more importantly, why so late. I looked back up at the clock. It was nearly 18:00. I sure hoped there was still something left.

* * *