Down The Road

A/N: I couldn't help it, I wrote a Kenzie/Kyle one shot. It takes place a few years after the end of the book. I hope you like it!

Kyle sat on the couch with his guitar, staring at a girl more beautiful than he could ever dream.

"If you're going to play the Star Wars song again," Kenzie teased, "I'm going to have to leave you. I loved it at first, but hearing it ten times a day just doesn't do it for me."

"Anymore," Kyle put in jokingly, causing Kenzie to lightly punch his shoulder. He rubbed it and smiled at her. Kenzie's glasses were slightly askew, and Kyle itched to adjust them, but his fingers felt glued to the fret board. "And no, that's not it. This is a new song. One I wrote for you."

Kenzie looked at her lap, a telltale sign- Kyle had learned over the past few years -that she was blushing. "Another one?" She asked softly. "Kyle, these are so sweet and all, but I don't need-"

"I can't help it," he interrupted. "You're my muse."

Kenzie shook her head with laughter, still not looking at him. "That was terrible. Have you been reading Carson's diary again?"

Kyle chuckled. "First of all, he insists we call it a journal, second of all, he insists he doesn't have a journal, and third of all, it's so much fun to read."

Finally, Kenzie met her boyfriend's eyes. He never got tired of the golden brown circles hiding behind her glasses. "Remember the poem he wrote for that waitress he barely spoke to when we were in Oregon that summer?"

Of course Kyle remembered; he had never laughed so hard. Thinking of it now, he couldn't help but grin. "That was priceless," he commented.

"I love that guy," Kenzie noted, "but he is so prone to catching feelings."

"Speaking of..." Kyle strummed his guitar a little.

"You don't have to," Kenzie told him.

"But I love you."

"I love you too. And I love all the songs you've written for me," she promised. "But I feel too special."

Kyle leaned over his guitar and kissed her. "Then I'm doing my job," he murmured against her lips before pulling back. "So will you please let me sing this song?" He used his best puppy dog eyes.

Kenzie's cheeks coloured, and she simply nodded.

With a sense of accomplishment, Kyle began to strum his guitar, and then began to sing. The chorus was his favourite part:

"Finding you changed my life. Holding you by my side is all that feels right. You're my rock, you're my roll. You'll have my heart, and my soul forever. Forever, I'm yours."

As soon as the music stopped, Kenzie tackled Kyle with a hug, causing his guitar to crash to the (thankfully soft and carpeted) floor.

"Woah there," he said as his back hit the couch. Kenzie was too busy kissing his face all over to say anything back. Kyle always giggled when she did this, which he knew made her happy.

Kenzie locked eyes with him again, and he saw that hers were watery. "Forever," she promised back to him, "I'm yours."

Words couldn't accompany his feelings, so Kyle gently brought Kenzie's face back down to his and kissed her, unable to stop his smile.

----

It was a few hours later Carson, Spencer, and Anna walked in.

"Would you look at that." Spencer pointed out Kyle and Kenzie asleep together on the couch.

"Yeah," Carson scoffed. "They're almost as gross as the two of you."

"What's the matter?" Anna teased. "Did that waitress not like your poem?"

Carson balled his fists, face turning as red as his hair. "I am going to burn that journal."

"Diary," Spencer corrected.

"Journal," Carson insisted. "It's manlier."

Anna laughed and grabbed a fluffy blanket from the closet. "You're such a dork. You know that?"

"At least I'm not annoyingly adorable like the two of you," Carson rebutted. "Or Kenzle over there."

"Just wait until you fall in love," Spencer told him. "You won't care about being annoyingly adorable." Anna looked up and smiled at her fiancé.

Carson crossed his arms. "Maybe someday. But that's not today. Today, you're all annoying."

"And adorable," Anna added, throwing the blanket over Kyle and Kenzie as they slept soundly.