five: moon and stars

Mike's POV

I pulled up to Nancy's and walked up the path to her door, then knock three times. A familiar voice yells, "It's open!"

I open the door and walk in, "You're lucky I'm not some kind of murderer, otherwise you'd both be dead." I finally look up and notice that the house is dark, and it was eerily quiet. "Um... El? Nancy?"

I never noticed how spooky Nancy's house was until now. With each step the floor creaked and then the lights started flickering. "Eleven?"

I don't know what's going on. Nancy's car was in the driveway, they can't possibly be anywhere else.

Then I felt something grab my hand, and I lose composure an scream like a girl, jumping back. The lights turn on and feel a kiss on my cheek. "El?!"

Eleven just laughs, "That was amazing."

"El, I was worried! That wasn't cool!"

Nancy walks in stopping next to Eleven, "Yeah, because your girl scream was just so cool."

"Shut up."

"That's no way to talk to your older sister, Mikey."

Eleven puts her hand on Nancy's shoulder, "Nance, I think it's best to stop."

Nancy sighs, "Ugh fine."

"Well we should get going before someone decides to prank both of us."

Eleven yawned, "That's a good idea."

We hug Nancy and say goodbye, and get back home. "You wanna watch a movie tonight?"

"Not today, maybe tomorrow morning instead."

"But you always want to watch a movie... are you okay?"

I follow Eleven into the bedroom and she digs her face into the pillow. Her voice is muffled, "I don't feel good." I go lie next to her and stroke her hair, "What's wrong?"

"I don't know, I just feel... icky."

"Do you want medicine?"

"Yes please."

I get up and walk into the bathroom to get her some pills and go to the kitchen for a cup of water. When I come back in, Eleven is already fast asleep. "Well hopefully it's nothing serious..." I put the water and pill on the nightstand, that way if she needs it she can take it once she wakes up. I get a blanket and gently lay it over El, who is quietly snoring. Definitely asleep... I kiss her forehead. Goodnight, my love.

At two o' clock in the morning...

I open my eyes after being shaken awake by El, who is dripping in sweat. "Mike... Mike...?" I rub my eyes, "What's wrong El?"

"Terrible things happened. Monsters, fires... Death..."

I pull her close, "It's okay now, I'm right here. We're both okay."

Eleven's breathing slowly went back to normal, "What if something is happening... Something bad?"

"As long as we have each other, I'm sure we'll get through it."

"I hope so..."

"Hey, we will. Just try not to think too much about it."

"..."

"El?"

"Yeah?"

"You're thinking about it."

"Yeah..."

"I know what's going to take your mind off of this," I get up from the bed and walk towards the tiny closet. "Maybe..." I say under my breath.

"But it's two in the morning..."

"That doesn't matter."

Eleven gets up and starts to get ready to leave, I wait on the couch for her to finish.

She walks over to the couch in leggings and one of my hoodies, "Where are we going?"

"Nowhere too far."

15 minutes later...

"What is this place?"

"We're at the lake."

"Why did you bring me to the lake?"

"I want to show you something."

We get out of the car and sit down by the lake.

"You see the moonlight on the water?"

"Yeah."

"You see how it makes the water sparkle?"

She nods, "It's beautiful."

"Now look up at the stars."

"What about them?"

"Think of us as the moon and stars. They're always there, even if you can't see them. In the day time, you can't always see the moon and you can't see the stars, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Some nights, you can't see the moon, some nights you can't see the stars."

"But they're always going to be there."

"Exactly."

"Mike?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you promise me you'll always be my moon?"

"If you promise you'll be my stars."

Eleven put her head on my shoulder, "Always."