Part One: M.I.A.

~ Eden's POV ~

I inhaled sharply; my body jolted awake. My heavy eyelids strained to keep open. Before I could fall back asleep, I flopped onto my back and sat up. I yawned and slowly climbed to my feet. My limbs felt stiff as boards. I must've slept in an uncomfortable position. Despite this, I forced myself to walk over to my closet.

My fingers groggily curled around the handle and pulled it open. After I stepped inside, the light automatically flickered on. It cast a yellow glow on everything it touched. All of my clothes were folded in neat piles. The black camouflage suit I used to wear that time ago was tacked to the wall.

I took off the clothes I was wearing and threw them on the floor. Maybe I would get around to cleaning them at a later hour. Following that, I put on a clean pair of undergarments. Then, I turned to face the full-view mirror. My hair had grown much longer. It hung slightly below my upper back. It wasn't very wavy anymore either. My perm had flattened out completely. The hair near my face was tightly braided against the sides of my head to keep it out of my eyes. A while ago, I strung pieces of it with decorative silver beads. In my opinion, it looked pretty darn good.

My eyes glanced over to my abdomen. The bullet wound I almost died from had faded to an ugly, white scar. Every time I looked at it, I would be reminded of the torturous pain it had caused me. I looked up at my forehead and ran my fingers across the bumpy network of stitch-scars. It was kind of cool knowing that Nahkt had a matching set. After all, those scars from the psychic implants were the reason how we could telepathically communicate. I had tried teaching him words in English, but he just never caught on. He didn't have the patience to learn a new language.

It was hard to think that only around a few months ago I had to be hidden away in that lonely cell. Now I could walk around the large spaceship wherever I pleased without any clan-mates even batting an eye. Maybe the they knew if they wanted to mess with me, Nahkt would mess them up.

I grabbed a tight fitting top and pair of leggings. They were made of a lightweight, silky fabric, and grayish-white in color. I slipped them on and smoothed out the wrinkles. After combing my hair with my fingers, I left the closet. Now that I was dressed, I decided to leave my room and search for Nahkt. Who knew where he could've gone off to.

I approached the door and reached out my arm to unlatch it, when it suddenly flew open. Nahkt stood in the hallway. His right hand was enclosed in a fist as if he was about to knock. In his other arm was a metal tray full of food. This was completely unexpected. In surprise, I loudly gasped and leapt backwards.

Nahkt lowered his right arm to his side and exclaimed: Sorry for startling you. I did not know you were awake.

I answered: Don't worry. It's okay.

He handed me the tray and said: Anyway, here is your breakfast. You're probably hungry by now.

I replied: Thanks.

Nahkt stated: I have to go manage a few things. After that, I will be back later. It won't take long, hopefully...

I shrugged and responded: Okay, see you around then.

Nahkt nodded and left to go attend to his responsibilities. Ever since he was promoted to the rank of an elder, he had become much more engaged in his work. After all, he was in charge of an entire clan and mothership.