Epilogue

"Magic Man" Belongs to Heart.

A/N: I can't being myself to believe this is the last chapter of the book... *Sniffles and wipes away a tear*

I couldn't believe how awkwardly silent the room had become. Moments before, I was fussing with the controls while Tamak's blood-chilling cackles filled my ears. Now everything seemed so bare and empty. Even more strangely, I couldn't force myself to believe that the brothers were actually dead. They were gone for good... We won!..

But deep inside me, something didn't feel right. I wasn't in the mood for a celebration. Normally, I would have been ecstatic beyond measure, but I just felt barren and solemn. There was no explanation behind my emotions, but I knew something was missing.

I stared out the cockpit window and gazed at the various constellations. There were so many stars, but even in their vast quantities, space remained a dark abyss. Then, out of nowhere, my attention was drawn to another subject. A soft grunt was heard behind me. I quickly backed away from the console and swerved around. In the center of the room, I saw Nahkt sitting on his stomach with his legs awkwardly splayed outwards. He turned onto his raw back and grabbed the chain dangling from the pillar. As he pulled himself to his feet, a low hiss vibrated in his throat. He sounded like he was in so much pain.

Nahkt stood to his full height and ran his hands through his beaded tresses. He chuckled: Heh, we did it Eden. We actually did it...

I dumbly replied: Yeah, we won.

He stated: Indeed. The brotherhood has been broken. All the lives they put to waste have been repaid. Ares has been avenged, and his sacrifice was not in vain.

Several moments of pause ticked by before he cocked his head to the right and questioned: Are you ready to finally head home?

I quipped: I thought you'd never ask. As long as I live, I never want to return to Earth again. It's just...not where I belong. I may have been born there, but it's not where I was destined to be.

Nahkt gave me a strange look and muttered something I could not comprehend. He slowly approached the ship controls. Every time he took a step, a barely audible whimper escaped his mouth. As he passed by, I couldn't take my eyes off his poor, shredded back. It closely resembled a slab of bloody, lacerated meat. Green blood continued to trickle from his wounds. The debris embedded his flesh moved with him and caused even further damage. I cringed when I tried to imagine the pain he was facing. I desperately wished to help him.

My lover laid his hands on the controls and explained: Alright, let's get this tin can turned around.

His fingers flew across a series of buttons and dials. The craft heaved and sharply turned its flight path around. Next, he grabbed a lever in the middle of the dashboard and gave it a hard tug. The spaceship lurched, and the engines roared mightily.

I intently gazed out the window. The stars grew out of focus and soon zipped by the vessel. They merged into a million white streaks and blurs. Now that we were on a corrected path, I reached up and removed my Bio-mask from my face. I shook my head side to side and massaged my moist skin. Then, I placed it on the console.

Nahkt reached to his head and sighed: Ugh, get this thing off me.

He peeled the mask from his face and set it beside mine. I looked up at him, hoping to see him doing the same, but something was very wrong. His head hung low, and his eyes were only half open. They were not their usual, strikingly blue color. It seemed as if all the light and tint had been sucked right out of them until only a gray shade remained. His chest quickly rose and fell, and his breaths were shallow pants. Every part of his body shuddered and trembled. He put his face in his hands and swayed his head, probably hoping to snap himself awake. His attempts were futile. He fell deeper into the haze with each passing second.