Chapter 1

The wind rushed through her ears as she fell into a darkening abyss. No light could escape this darkness.. Nothing could. As she fell faster and faster, the darkness seemed to consume her, ringing in her ears..

Kathryn woke up, startled. She sat up, wiped her sweat covered forehead and looked over at the clock, realizing it was 5:40. Kathryn got up and walked to the bathroom, showering quickly, then getting dressed in a black tank top, jean jacket, and black jeans. As quietly as she could, she exited her room and walked down the tiny hall and into the small kitchen.

Opening the fridge, she reached out for the milk, but stopped in place when she heard a small cough. Kathryn turned to see her little sister, Chloe. Kathryn smiled at her sister. She had always had a soft spot for the 11 year old. Brown hair, brown eyes; she looked exactly like their mother, except with a pure, innocent heart.

"What are you doing up so early, Chlo?" This made Chloe smile. It was her favorite nickname from her favorite person. Sighing, she responded lowly, "I had another nightmare about mom and dad.."

Kathryn shuddered. She too had once had these nightmares, and she did not care to go back and relive them now. "Well, try not to think about any of that ok, Chlo? It was years ago and plus, you should be excited. It's your first day of 6th Grade!"

Chloe smiled and nodded, racing back down the hall to the bedroom adjacent to Kathryn's. Kathryn smiled to herself as she heard her little sister rummaging through her closet for the perfect outfit of the day. Today was a big day, for both sisters. Kathryn would be attending Pine Hills High School, and Chloe would be going to Ryland Middle School.

Turning back to the fridge, Kathryn grabbed the milk, then grabbed the cereal from the counter. She got out two bowls and poured some breakfast for both herself and her sister. Chloe came back into the kitchen, going straight for the food. Kathryn sat beside her as they ate in a comfortable silence.

Once finished, Chloe put the dishes into the sink while Kathryn walked toward the front door. Knowing her mother wouldn't be home until late afternoon, Kathryn grabbed her car keys, her school bag and her purse, opened the door, and walked toward her little, blue convertible. Chloe followed seconds later with her pink, Hello Kitty book bag, and hopped into the car, grinning. Kathryn started the car and pulled out of the driveway, dropping Chloe off at the middle school, and heading to Pine Hills.