Chapter 3

After going to her second class, English, it was time for lunch. Heading to the cafeteria, Kathryn looked around for the familiar sight of her best friend, Jennifer's, crazy and wild hair. Spotting her sitting by the large windows that overlooked the front parking lot, Kathryn headed over, crouching behind a couple freshman. Walking up behind her best friend, she launched forward, falling against her back and making her jump.

"Oh my GOSH Kathryn! Was that really necessary?" She said, a look of half humor, half rage on her face. Laughing, Kathryn smirked. "Of course it was. How else am I supposed to scare you?" Rolling her eyes, Jennifer went back to eating her lunch. Sitting against the wall, Kathryn put her legs out straight and stared at Jennifer.

"Calm down Jen, don't wanna get tomato sauce everywhere, you pig." She joked, gesturing to Jennifer's pizza rolls as she took one, gleefully plopping it into her mouth. Smacking Kathryn's arm playfully, Jennifer giggled and spoke, mouth full of food. "Insult me all you want, at least I'm not starving myself." As Jennifer ate, Kathryn rolled her eyes and stared off into space, thinking about Chloe.

Her thoughts were interrupted when someone tripped over her legs, falling square on his face. Everyone around, Kathryn included, erupted in laughter as the poor guy slowly stood. Kathryn watched as a boy, about a year older than herself, brown hair, and green eyes, looked at her as he picked up his books. Kathryn smirked at him.

"Might wanna close your mouth before you let some flies in, honey." Closing his mouth instantly, he muttered a small apology before stumbling off into the crowd. Laughing, Kathryn looked over at Jennifer, who had an astonished look on her face. "Well, that was definitely unexpected." Nodding, Kathryn asked "Do you know who that was by chance?"

Jennifer smiled. "His name is Dylan Herald. He's in my first period History class." Kathryn nodded, thinking back to the strangely familiar boy who had just fallen over her. The bell rang, pulling Kathryn out of her daze. Kathryn looked back to Jennifer. "What class do you have next?"

"Science. You?" Kathryn grinned. "Same. Let's go. If we get there quick enough, we can find some seats in the back and try out that new spitball technique we created last summer." Smirking devilishly at one another, they headed off to class.