4

Shoving his hands into his pockets, Ethan walked through the doors of the coffee shop and got in line.

When the cashier looked up from the register she smiled, "The usual?" she asked. Ethan's lips turned upwards into a half smile, and he nodded. "Okay, dear," She punched in some numbers and looked back up at Ethan, "Here's your receipt. Your drink is on the house today." 

"Thank you," He whispered softly, "thank you so much." He then decided to wait for his drink at his table, only to find that it was occupied. He shuffled over and softly tapped the person on the shoulder, "Excuse me?" he asked.

"Yes?" The girl turned around, and Ethan recognized her from the week before.

He looked into her eyes, and couldn't help but stutter,"This is my table." Ethan told her. "I mean, this is where I usually sit." He looked down at his hands and pulled the sleeves of his hoodie down past his wrists. He became flustered and nervous.

She kicked the seat across from her back, "There's an empty seat. I didn't come with anyone." she said.

Ethan sat down and turned away from her.

"You're welcome," She teased.

He didn't reply, instead he just waited to hear his name being called by the barista.

"Ah, silent treatment, huh?"

He didn't even flinch.

She tapped on his shoulder, "It would be nice to get to know you," her voiced trailed off, and she began to give up hope, but Ethan turned his head and opened his mouth like he was about to speak. She looked at him with an intense expression, but nothing came out. He found himself mute. Ethan wanted to say thank you, but could not find himself able to do so. He tried his best to find his voice, but he couldn't. She sighed and leaned back in her chair, 

he said absolutely nothing.