Chapter Twelve: Classic

The next few months were crazy, hectic, and exciting in the Kuechly home. The Panthers were well on their way to an undefeated season and despite them beating Lydia's packers, she was happy for Luke and the team.

Nothing more had transpired between the two adults. Lydia had approached acting like it never happened and Luke had gone along with it. Though easily ignored, there was still an underlying tension between the two.

Christmas was fast approaching and with the holidays came the annual charity gala for the Panthers' organization. Being a very family friendly event, Isla would be joining him along with Lydia on Isla's insistence.

With a full length, tulle skirt, Isla was dancing around in her lavender dress. Her green eyes sparkled as tight ringlets framed her face. The doting father smiled at his young daughter as she enjoyed the princess effect, as Lydia called it, that the dress gave the child.

Checking the time, Luke glanced at his watch, a little hesitant to call for Lydia even though he knew they needed to be leaving soon. As the man, dressed in a perfectly tailored suit, looked up, his eyes met with the most stunning beauty he'd ever seen. Left speechless, all the tough linebacker could do was stare.

In an elegant but simple, form fitting dress, Lydia made her way down stairs. The dress was a deep purple, one shoulder piece with beading on one shoulder and a little more on the opposite side of her waist line. Pinned to rest over her bare shoulder, her long hair hung in loose curls.

The intense stare the woman was getting from her employer caused a deep blush to form up her neck. Shinning blue eyes met piercing green ones. Lydia felt butterflies in her stomach from the looks she was getting from Luke and it only increased her blushing. Ultimately, Isla was the one to breaks the silence. "Miss Lydia you look like a million bucks," the child said in awe.

The older woman giggled. "Thank you, Isla you look like a princess yourself."

The little girl grinned spinning so her skirt flew out. "Thank you."

"You look absolutely stunning," Luke said, finally being able to form words once more as his thoughts slipped out as words.

Lydia froze, a blush making its way to her face this time. Quickly realizing what he'd done, the linebacker's face flushed also. What was it about her that made him go senseless? "We should be going," Luke smiled weakly as he managed not to stumble through his words.

Isla cheered as Lydia nodded helping the child with her coat.

As they made their was to the charity Christmas gala, both adults stayed silent. Isla chatted happily and sang along to the Christmas carols that played dimly in the background. 

Once they arrived at the gala, Luke opened the car door for both Lydia and Isla taking his daughter's hand while placing his free hand on the older woman's lower back. Though taken a bit off guard, the warm feeling of the man's hand felt comforting to Lydia since she really didn't know anyone ay the event. The football player also helped the two with their coats; his finger tips softly brushed from Lydia's shoulders down her arms. Shivers went down the young woman's spine and she mentally  cursed because of it.

Not long after arriving, Isla found her playmates running off from the two adults to join them. Luke was quickly surrounded by teammates making the nanny feel sorely out of place. Wandering  off on her own, she started browsing the selection of items for the silent auction.

"It's Lydia right?" She turned to face a smiling woman who seemed familiar.

"Uh, yeah," Lydia smiled. "I'm sorry I'm drawing a blank on your name."