Chapter Fourteen: Christmas Time

"Do you hafta go?" Isla pouted as Lydia stood in the entry way of the house waiting for Paul to arrive to take her to the airport. "It's almost Christmas and I wanna to be with you."

Smiling at the young child, the nanny double checked to make sure she had all her bags, all two of them that is, "I know, and as much as I'd like to be with you, I want to see my mom and dad and brothers for Christmas. Does that make sense?"

"I guess," Isla huffed. "I still want you here though."

"I know," Lydia smiled as she hugged the young child tightly. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," Isla looked up at her nanny.

Just then, a car horn sounded from outside signifying Paul's arrival.

"You got everything?" Luke asked. "Do you need help with your bags?"

"No, I've got it. Thanks for asking though," Lydia replied.

Things had begun to get less awkward between the pair over the last few days. Although they weren't back to normal, both were certain it wouldn't take long. Of course, as soon as things got back to normal, they would have to talk and bring all that tension to the surface once more.

Luke nodded, "Have a good trip. Be safe."

"Bye miss Lydia," Isla chimed.

"Goodbye," Lydia smiled as her waiting friend honked the horn again causing the woman to mumble under her breath as she departed leaving Luke with a smile on his face.

~

Forgetting her bags the moment she spotted her dad, Lydia ran full speed towards the man responsible for her life. "Daddy!" She squealed happily, engulfing him in a bone crushing bear hug.

"Hey, baby girl," Jonathan Lancaster chuckled hugging his daughter. "I've missed you. You live  to far away from us."

"I've missed you too," Lydia smiled. "You know I love Charlotte though."

"I know," the man replied taking in the sight of his only daughter. "Now where are your bags?"

"About twenty feet back," the young woman laughed with a motion of her head.

It didn't take long to retrieve Lydia's belongings. Within fifteen minutes, the father daughter duo were on the road traveling towards Lydia's childhood home.

This was just what the woman needed. To get back to her roots. To remember who she was or to discover the woman she had become.

"So what does mom have up her sleeves for Christmas Eve?" Lydia asked leaning her head against the cool glass of the car window watching the Georgia scenery fly past.

"You know, the usual gotta top last year's party stuff. We've had caterers and bands and florists and whatever else your mother can conjure up at the house all week," her father replied. "Also, the firm is having their annual gala tonight. If you want to come, you can."

"If it's all the same, I think I'll stay home tonight. I need to relax and be away from people."

"I figured you'd say that. Just thought I'd offer," Jonathan smiled assuringly at his youngest child. "I saw pictures online of you at the Panthers' Gala."

"You did?" A strange, unidentifiable feeling coursed through Lydia at the thought of that night.

"I did. You looked absolutely stunning, baby girl."