Chapter Twenty-Six: Your Heart Beat

I talk to God about you
And I ain't even met you yet...

It ain't always gonna be easy
It ain't always gonna be fair
I know you ain't always gonna need me
But I promise that I'll always be there

"And there was a baby cow!" Isla exclaimed, recounting the petting zoo birthday party she had attended that afternoon as she jumped up and down on her bed in her pajamas.

Luke laughed. "Sounds very exciting, Isla bear."

"It was so much fun! And the baby goat was so cute and tiny!" She squealed. "I want one for my birthday." The young girl continued to bounce.

"A petting zoo? We could probably work something out," Luke silently hoped she would change her mind. A petting zoo in December would not be all that fun.

"No, daddy. I want a baby goat that will be all mine, and he can sleep in my bed."

"But goats make messes and pee and poop on the floor."

"It can wear a diaper," Isla argued.

"baby goats grow up and become big goats."

"Sooooo, I'll still love it."

"I don't think we can get you a baby goat, sweetheart. They're meant to run free outside. Not live in a house."

Isla plopped down on her bottom. Crossing her arms, she huffed, causing her bangs to fly up for a second. Luke smiled softly, kissing her cheek. The bangs had been Isla's own creation about two days ago. Needless to say, she wasn't going to be using scissors anytime soon. Luckily for the five-year-old, the lady at the hair salon had been able to make them look a little less homemade. They were still about half an inch too short, however.

Isla didn't even acknowledge her father's affection as she kept her nose turned up towards him. "What about a kitten?"

"Now, that we could probably do." Isla smiled, her demeanor shifting. "But for your birthday. Not right now."

"Thank you, daddy," Isla grinned.

Luke chuckled. "Ok, time to settle in for bed." He pulled the covers back and Isla contentedly crawled under them.

"Isla."

"Yes?"

"You know how Miss Lydia is having a baby?"

"Yeah, It's exciting."

"Well, tomorrow, we're going to go to the doctor's because she going to have an ultrasound."

"What's that?"

"It's when you get to see a video of the baby."

"While it's in Miss Lydia's tummy?" The child asked.

"Yeah."

"Cool," her eyes went wide in wonderment.

Luke smiled, ever captivated by his daughter. "Yeah it is, and we're going because Miss Lydia's baby is your brother or sister."

"Does that mean Miss Lydia is going to be my new mommy?"

Luke wanted to cringe. She looked so excited at the idea of it. "No sweetheart."

"But how does that work?"

"Well, the baby is my child like you are, and that makes you the baby's sister, but Miss Lydia and I aren't married or in a relationship, so she isn't going to be your Mom."

"Will the baby live with us?"

"Sometimes, I'm sure. Miss Lydia and I haven't worked everything out yet."