Chapter Nineteen: Piece by Piece

•Little do you know
I'm trying to pick myself from piece by piece
Little do you know
I need a little more time
Underneath it all I'm held captive by the hole inside
I've been holding back
For the fear that you might change your mind•

Lydia sat on the bed of her Santa Clara, California hotel room in shock. There was no way this could be happening again. She was simply over reacting... right?  That was it. It had to be. She was just overreacting. There was no way she got herself into this situation a second time. Oh, Lord. How on earth did she get herself into this a second time? Why was her life so screwed up? She knew not many people would give her sympathy. Heck, Lydia probably wouldn't even give herself sympathy.

She had the sweetest boyfriend who treated her like a princess. He was kind and caring and successful. He was protective and adventurous and stable. Ben was straight forward, honest and open. He should be her only choice. He was safe.

Yet, something still pulled her towards Luke, who had been cold and cagey towards her since she started going out with Ben, even more so theist two weeks, but she knew he was jealous. Though, neither would admit it. Of course, Luke had his high points. His very very high points. When he held her, Lydia felt loved. Call her crazy, but thats what she felt. He was a great kisser among other things that she shouldn't know about him.

So nobody was going to feel sorry for a woman who was trying to decide if she should stay with an amazing, caring, NFL linebacker or try something out with his equally amazing, and caring teammate... if he wanted to be with her that was. She still didn't know for sure. Something had to give. Something was about to give very soon. That was for sure.

There was a quick knock on her door before it flew open, breaking the woman out of her thoughts. Isla flew in excitedly, talking a million miles a minute about everything she and her dad had done. Lydia laughed.

"Sounds like you had fun, Isla."

"We did!" She giggled, jumping on to her nanny's bed before continuing in great detail all that her father and she had done that afternoon. "Is your jet lag better?"

Lydia smiled. "I feel much better now. Thank you for asking."

Luke popped his head through the door. "She's not bothering you is she? You still have another hour off."

Lydia shook her head. "Not at all."

The man nodded before disappearing into the living room area of their suite. The two adults where doing the most adult thing they knew how to do, walk on eggshells around each other and only talk only when absolutely necessary. The longer they kept it up, the more extreme it became. Lydia knew they needed to talk things through, but at the same, time she hoped once she came back at the beginning of July, all of the tension would magically disappear. Chances were that wouldn't be the case, especially if she was right about a couple things.

The familiar sound of her ring tone registered as Isla picked the phone up. The little girl looked at the front, making a face.

"Who is it Isla Joy?" Lydia laughed.

"It's mister Ben. Why is he kissing you in the picture. Thats yucky." She handed the phone over.

"Because he likes me," the nanny smiled, answering the phone.

"Hi mister Ben!" Isla called, hopping out off the bed leaving the adults to their conversation.

Ben chuckled on the other end of the line. "Tell little miss priss hi whenever you see her again."

"Will do. What can I do for you?" Lydia smiled.

"Meet me in the hall in five minutes?"

"I can do that, but not for long."