Chapter 8

A few months passed and our friendship was completely ruined by my confession. Sure we see each other at home and then at school, but we don't talk unless it's something important. We just smile at each other when we pass by but that's the only thing we have right now.

Her mom already talked to her and she agreed living with her at Australia. She's been busy with all the stuff she's going to need when she goes to Australia. I guess she's that excited to meet her mother again. In a few weeks, she's going to leave our house and settle into her own with her mother.

            We are currently inside a restaurant while we were waiting for Tessie's mother. She is coming to visit Tessie today and she'll be sleeping at our house later. She's awfully late because we were waiting since an hour ago. I glanced at Tessie who is sitting across me and is obviously nervous of this event. She was fiddling with her dress which suits her very well. Since her father was sentenced guilty and is now in jail, she has been lively again. She also gained weight and is not the same weak Tessie before. She has improved a lot and is well enough to live without me being her tail.

            "Tessie?" we heard a voice behind us and all of our heads whipped to a woman who looks so much like Tessie, only the older version and the tanned one. I compared both of them while they were hugging right in front of us and the people dining inside the restaurant. I can't help but feel a pang of guilt and regret in my heart. Had I not confessed to her, maybe she is still talking with me, smiling and joking with me. Had I not been stupid and told her all that I felt, she could have been hugging me today like it's the last day of the earth.

            But I was an idiot.

            "Thank you for taking care of my daughter." We were all in our house at the living room, drinking tea. Tessie's mom is a very kind woman. She's caring and very thoughtful and I take back all the bad things I said about her because she deserves a lot more like Tessie.

            "Oh, we wouldn't have known if not for our son. He has been taking good care of your daughter at school and he helped Tessie recover from all these." Mom said before taking a sip from her cup of tea. I guess I have to go upstairs if they will only talk about me or Tessie. I stood up and gained attention at once.

            "Where are you going son?" Dad asked me.

            "I'm going to rest already. May I ask to be excused?" I politely said. Tessie's mom nodded and gave me a smile. That smile means a lot to me. It feels like she's approving me of something I don't know. It feels weird talking with the mother of the girl you love but then rejected you indirectly.

            Lying on my bed was the only thing I did when I entered my room. I couldn't think of something else to do. I have to keep my mind off of Tessie or else I might break down. I can't afford that to happen. Even though I don't want Tessie to leave, maybe this is the best decision for now. I'll just have to respect and accept whatever her decision is. That's what a best friend does right?

            A knock on my door pulled me out of my thoughts. Maybe it's mom telling me to turn off the lights if I will already sleep. I timidly walked to the door and opened it. But instead of finding my mother there, I found Tessie's mom smiling at me. What does she want?

            "May I come in young man?" she asked and I nodded quickly and gestured her to sit on my bed while I sit on the computer chair. What does she want from me now?

            "I can see the feelings you have for my daughter, Luke. And I am very happy and thankful that my Tessie has found someone like you. I am also apologizing if you have a grudge on me because I left her alone with her father before, but I regret doing that. I regretted that from the day I stepped out of that house and left the country. Your mother has told me everything I had to know and I am grateful for that. Not only you courageously defended my daughter to all those who hurt her, you even loved her from the bottom of your heart and I don't know how I am going to repay that." she was smiling at me. "As you know, I am bringing her with me to Australia after a few weeks from now. I know that something must be wrong with the both of you because the atmosphere between you is kind of dead. I hope the both of you resolve that before we leave. I know I am a selfish mother, but I don't want my daughter to regret going with me and I know that your mother won't accept you brooding over what happened."