Chapter 10

“Son, let’s talk.” My dad greeted me with his serious face the soon as I stepped inside our house. I rolled my eyes and sighed but I followed him to the kitchen where Mom was. She looked tired and there are bags under her eyes.

            “What’s the meeting about?” I asked as I perched on the stool. Both of their heads turned towards me and looked at me. Jeez! This isn’t a staring contest so please start talking.

            “What’s happening to you? You know that your Dad and I are always here for you right? If you have any problem, we can listen to you. We’re a family right?” Mom caught my hands and she enveloped mine with both of hers. I looked down and felt a pint of guilt inside.

            “There’s nothing wrong with me.” I muttered but I only earned a scoff from my father.

            “I know that you’re affected of Tessie leaving. You just have to talk to her. Come on, you know better son. You can solve any problem right? Once you solve this conflict between you and Tessie, I swear that you’ll feel fine!” he spoke. I closed my eyes and sighed again. I don’t know if I’ll be able to talk to Tessie casually again.

            “Look here, your Dad and I are leaving later for our vacation. I am giving you time to make up with Tessie. She’s leaving in a couple of weeks Luke. Do you want your friendship to be permanently ruined?” mom asked.

            “I don’t want a mere friendship mom! I want her to be more than my friend! I don’t know why but I LOVE HER! I freaking do! But her leaving makes it even harder to talk to her! I know she has her own issues but that doesn’t mean that she will just leave me hanging!” I slammed my hands down the counter top and Mom flinched at my outburst.

            “Luke, can we talk?” her voice was the next thing I heard apart from my ragged breathing. I turned around and there I saw her standing.

            “Just give her a chance to explain things, son.” Dad tapped my shoulder and gestured me to talk to Tessie. I stood up, grabbed her hands and dragged her upstairs into my room.

            “Talk.” I immediately said after locking my door behind me. She slowly made her way to my bed and sat down.

            “I’m sorry if I didn’t give you my reply and you thought that I indirectly rejected you. But that’s not it.” She started. That’s not it? 

            “Then what is your reply, Therese?” I asked calmly this time. If we’re going to talk about that, I have to become calm and patient because I might even make things worse as it is now.

            “Luke, I’ve known you for so long and I won’t deny that I had feelings for you too.”

            “THEN WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME?” talks about being calm and patient right? But I ended up shouting again.

            “BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID THAT ONE DAY I’LL GO AND I WILL BE LEAVING YOU ALONE! I WAS AFRAID THAT YOU WILL GET HURT MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER BE IF I GO! CAN’T YOU SEE THAT? THAT’S WHY I CHOSE TO IGNORE YOUR FEELINGS AND MINE AS WELL!” she started screaming too and I spotted her tears spilling from her eyes. She was afraid?

            “THEN DON’T GO!” I dashed to where she was sitting and engulfed her into a tight hug that I have missed doing. She’s as fragile as ever. Her body shook with her silent sobbing and her hair smells like flowers as ever. God I miss this!

            “Don’t go.” I repeated but this time I was gentle. My voice was gentle because I feel like if I shout at her again, she might break. This fragile little lady is the one I love.