Chapter 6

• Dedicated to Lori Schmeltzer

Chapter 6

            Cody was suddenly terrified about what Omen had said. He either had to ignore the cave and look somewhere else for someplace where he could train Inferno safely, or reveal everything to the blacksmith, including Inferno. He told the dragon about their predicament, and he was beginning to get anxious about the whole thing as well.

            “I’ve explored the cave a bit more,” Inferno began to explain, “I know that it is exactly what we need. My vision is superior to the vision of your race, including night vision, and I’ve discovered that it is at least tall enough, long enough, and wide enough for me to practice flying, not to mention a few ledges that I could climb onto and take off from. If you can trust him, then by all means accept his offer, and we can tell him everything when we meet him after he gets the torches. Your other friends are clearly less trustworthy, and the blacksmith is much more determined to join in adventure than them.”

            Cody cursed to himself angrily, realizing that he had a completely valid point. He glared at Omen, who was perched in his chair with a gleam of excitement in his eye at the possibilities of adventure that were just lying at his feet. Cody tried to steer him away from it.

            “Being a blacksmith, you’re probably very busy and have a lot of work to do.”

            Omen let out a loud laugh as he said, “Then why would I want to make a bunch of torches? I told you already, I have little to no business right now. At the moment I’m just waiting for Autumn to come buy to pick up some arrows she wanted me to make for her. Apparently one of hers broke today while she was out hunting, and she lost a few others. I didn’t speak to her personally, but Aval came by and told me what she wanted.”

            Cody laughed a little bit at how Omen strayed from the original conversation, probably thinking Cody would be interested to hear the news about his friends, but then he focused more on their current dilemma. He held out his hand to Omen.

            “It would be my honor to include you in our exploration.”

            “Our exploration? Who else is there?” He asked.

            Cody grinned before saying, “Make those torches, and meet me at my house at noon to find out. What day do you thing you’ll finish?”

            Omen leaned back in his chair and replied, “I could work through the night, and with your help I could be done by tomorrow morning with about a dozen.”

            “Bed,” Inferno said repeatedly to Cody, making him chuckle.

            “I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to help you tonight, I have to be in bed soon. But, I have to get started on the exploration of that cave as soon as possible. How about you make as many torches as you can until about four in the morning? Get some sleep, and then meet me at my house a bit before noon and we can go to the cave.”

            Omen nodded and said, “I will do my best to make as many as I can as quickly as I can, and I might be able to get about five ready in the time you mentioned. I will see you at noon tomorrow.”

            Omen reached forward and grabbed Inferno’s scales before putting them in his pocket and nodding to Cody formally, even though it was obvious that he was barely containing his joy at the potential adventure. Cody left with a small, joking bow. He went out the open door and chased after Skeletar the horse, feeling eager to discover everything about the caves.