Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Cody and Inferno were flying fast over the town in search of Isaac the blacksmith’s shop, passing numerous buildings along the way. They sped through the city at a high speed considering the enclosed space, but it didn’t stop hundreds of people from gazing up at them as they passed. They must have appeared for only a short time for each person, but the admiration emanating from them was great in those seconds.

It wasn’t long before the two of them found and recognized the fields that they had first landed in the day before. After about five minutes the tall hill that was home to the psychic came into view.

            “Land here,” Cody said to Inferno. It would probably be a lot easier to find Isaac on foot, considering a bird’s-eye view wouldn’t be helpful in figuring out which building was which.

            Inferno obediently shifted positions until he was gently gliding downward, and a few feet from the ground he flapped his wings a few times to straighten himself out before landing on his powerful hind legs. He folded his wings firmly against the sides of his body as he lowered his forelegs onto the ground and began to walk forward.

            As they walked, a crowd of people formed around them, all gaping in astonishment as the magnificent dragon and his rider strode through the streets. There were a few children that would run up to Inferno, but were quickly pulled back by their worried mothers and continued to watch from a distance. The attention felt strange to Cody, and he squirmed uncomfortably in the saddle before he remembered that he should keep a calm, powerful air. He sat up straight and looked down at the people as if he was enjoying the attention, though he would have much preferred to be alone in the forest.

            “Could that be it?” Inferno asked, gesturing towards a tall building with a toss of his head and a low growl of curiosity.

            The building was only one level, which you would expect of a forge or blacksmith’s, but it was very wide and long. It also had a large chimney with thick, dark smoke pouring out of it, making Cody surer that it had to be Isaac’s forge and shop. But it was so massive, he couldn’t believe it.

            “It can’t be.”

            But, sure enough, it was. Isaac himself came out the front door and began walking towards them with his lips twitched up ever-so-slightly to show that he was at least moderately happy to see them there.

            “I wasn’t expecting you so soon. I had only just talked to you last night and I had assumed you would spend more time in the city before you came to me,” the blacksmith said.

            “As it turns out, we’re going to have to leave as early as possible so I would really love to hear that you have something for me,” Cody said.

            “Follow me,” Isaac said as he turned to go inside.

            Cody reluctantly left Inferno, but thought to him reassuringly, “I will be back as fast as I can.”

            Inferno nodded, and his rider followed the blacksmith into the shop. Isaac opened the door and held it open for Cody, who stepped inside eagerly. As soon as he made it inside, his vision was overwhelmed with weapons, armor, tools, and all sorts of parts that would go to tools he hadn’t even heard of.

            “Over here,” Isaac said as he walked over to the far wall. All along the wall were various types of armor that Cody couldn’t even begin to name, and next to the wall was a somewhat small table.