Chapter 41

Chapter 41

            Cody stood still for several moments, gazing out at his old town, his old home. He saw someone pass between a couple of houses without noticing him and his companions. Recognizing the woman, he realized just how hard it would be for him to return for such a short time, and lie about everywhere he had been and everything he had been doing the entire time.

            “Where are we going first?” Pippi whispered in his ear.

            “Falcon’s house,” Cody replied confidently, taking a step forward.

            Mora then asked confusedly, “I thought we had eliminated her as a suspect?”

            “We did,” Cody began, “But I still have doubts that the other three could be Flamidar. We’re going to her because she is one of the most social people in the town. If anyone knows about everyone’s nicknames, she will.”

            Cody turned to see everyone nod in agreement, though Larson and Pippi seemed reluctant. Cody shivered before he continued forward, into the town. He recalled from deep within his memory that Falcon lived with her family near the heart of town. Of course, there was no way Cody could get that far without being noticed. He was beginning to wonder whether he would want to be secretive or not, when someone noticed him from about ten yards away.

            “Hello!” The man shouted in greeting. “What brings you to-”

            The man stopped dead in his tracks a few feet away as he seemed to recognize Cody. In an instant, the rider had already recognized the man, who lived alone at the very edge of the town and hunted for a living.

            “It can’t be…”

            “I assure you it is,” Cody said as he stuck out his hand, trying to be the man he had been before he discovered Inferno’s egg.

            “Cody!” The man grasped his hand and shook it enthusiastically.

            “It’s good to see you Feysal!” Cody said, instantly realizing that there was no way this man could have been his enemy’s servant.

            Feysal’s calls drew people towards them from the streets and even from nearby houses. Gasps filled the air as people recognized Cody. Some people seemed to be shocked at his clothing, and yet others were beginning to notice that his companions were different. Five people stepped forward and gave Cody a firm handshake like Feysal had done, while one other gave him a tight hug. After a minute or two of greetings, people began asking every question Cody and his companions had covered.

            “Where Are Avalsmokes and Autumn?”

            “What happened to our blacksmith?”

            “Who are these people?”

            “How did you get the money to pay for that outfit?”

            “Where did you go?”

            “Why do you look so different?”

            Cody sighed and answered as best as he could, “We just went to a nearby town called Starling. Aval, Autumn, and Omen decided to stay there for a while. Pippi, Larson, and Mora here decided to accompany me back because I had to come speak to Falcon about something. The blacksmith there lent me this armor for the dangerous way home.