Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Cody’s dreams were insignificant throughout the night, and basically nothing about them was worth mentioning when he awoke the next morning. All that was left from his deep sleeping were a few blurry images that all ran together like one, though he hardly considered it noteworthy. He remained in the same position for around a half-hour longer, before he slowly opened his eyes.

He nearly yelped with surprise when he opened his eyes, but it quickly turned into silent laughter in his own head. All around him were the slumbering forms of his companions, all happily pursuing their own dreams in their deepest thoughts without a care in the world. Cody hadn’t actually expected them to join him in the shelter of Inferno’s wings, but somehow he must have had their trust and respect, something he never really sought or expected to gain from them.

“I wonder why they trust us so easily,” Inferno growled sleepily.

Cody started, and quickly asked, “Have you been awake this whole time? Do you think they have someone watching us or something to make sure we don’t harm them, and their just bringing us to some sort of trap?”

Inferno chuckled before answering, “I have been sort of half-awake for an hour or so, and when you woke up I began simply resting and enjoying the peace and quiet. As for your other question, I hardly think it likely. I don’t know why they are accepting us so easily, but for whatever reason it is genuine, I’m sure of it. We can undoubtedly trust that their plan is their best, and that they have no intention of…’betraying’ us.”

Cody nodded in agreement, knowing that the dragon was probably right no matter how he had come to the conclusion, before he said, “I’m sure you’re right,” Since Inferno wouldn’t be able to see the movement of his head.

The rider slowly pulled himself upright and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He opened his mouth wide in a yawn, and when it was closed again he felt a little bit more wide awake. He observed what little he had for surroundings for the time being.

Nearly everything was dark, and he probably would have guessed that it was still the dead of night if he hadn’t been in the shelter of Inferno’s wings before. It was actually considerably lighter than usual. The thick membrane of the wing seemed like an unusual leather shelter that could almost be seen through, but what shapes could be seen were very vague and blurry. The entire wing seemed to be covered in a lazy orange light that was almost unnoticeable in the dark skin, but the light was there.

“What time would you say it is?” Cody asked as he crossed his legs and leaned leisurely against the dragon’s hide.

Inferno wearily replied, “I would say it’s near the time that the rest wake up. Pippi was asleep last, but I still would have expected her to awaken sooner.”

“Life as a prisoner for bandits might be rough, or at least I would assume, being bandits and all. I’m not at all surprised, since this is probably the first time she’s had a half-decent sleep in weeks. I slept pretty long as well, remember.”

“But you’re not an elf. I just would have thought that even with her imprisonment she might wake up sooner. I’m sure she will be awake soon with the others, at any rate,” Inferno said.

“And if they don’t wake up soon?” Cody asked curiously.

“Then you wake them up! The sooner we get going with our plans, the better,” Inferno said with a half-hearted growl.

Cody chuckled slightly to himself before saying, “Well it’s not very roomy in here, I’m surprised I didn’t end up sandwiched between you and Lars!”