Chapter 17

Chapter 17

          Blackscales was perhaps the happiest he ever could have imagined when he dreamed that day. He assumed he was in Mrana Akano Furista, the Hidden Mountain Pass again, and Argos’s rider was sitting on a rock in front of him. The elder rider seemed weak and withdrawn, but also determined to tell the younger rider what he wanted to. That’s why Inferno’s rider was surprised when he didn’t say anything at first.

            Then, Argos’s rider said, “I know that I said I wouldn’t speak to you again for a long while, but our foe grows stronger every day and I fear that you will run into trouble and be unable to defend yourself, so I will begin the basics of your training immediately through your dreams.”

            “That’s unfair; I have Aval and Autumn to defend me if we run into trouble. And why does the training begin now when it’s supposed to start at the Hidden Mountain Pass?” Blackscales asked, crossing his arms.

            The elder rider chuckled slightly before replying, “Those two guards you chose will not protect you from Dongoithu the Rat. And, if I’m not mistaken, Icksazro told you how to get to this haven and you were utterly confused by his advice. The elves may be annoying and full of pesky riddles in the simplest sentences, but I shamefully admit that they are wiser than dwarves, so you’d be wise as well to not frustrate yourself with his riddles. While you take the time to figure out his riddles, I will appear to you every moment I can to answer what questions I can. Do you have any for me now?”

            In fact, Blackscales’s head was swimming with questions, and he didn’t hesitate to ask them all one at a time, “Geragror told me a little bit about Dongoithu, but not much, so why must I be so cautious of him if my identity is secret?”

            “That is a long story, but to make it short I’ll tell you briefly that he betrayed the dwarves long ago, but tried to gain acceptance. Since I’m a rider, I see from the eyes of all races and realize that what my kin did was wrong. They brutally murdered his family and refused to accept him back after he begged and pleaded with the king, who pushed him away like a lowly peasant. Dongoithu’s heart blackened and he joined our biggest foe.

            “Then, about twenty years ago, the leader of the enemy saw the signs that a new rider would exist soon, and he sent out his three greatest servants to find that rider, and Dongoithu was sent to hunt you down, and he is a mighty dwarf so he will find you if you aren’t absolutely careful.”

            Blackscales quickly asked another question, “Will you teach me magic?”

            The elder rider rolled his eyes before uttering a response, “If you are in dire need, but not a moment sooner. For now, your only training will be physical.”

            “This has been on my mind for a while: Is my name permanently changed to Blackscales?”

            Argos’s rider chuckled again, apparently since they were on a lighter subject now, before he replied, “It depends. After a time you will no longer need to have a hidden identity, so you can go back to Cody if you wanted. However, to many people already, you will forever be referred to casually as Blackscales, and Cody will forever be forgotten. Others will call you the Twilight Rider, or when I start training you magic in your dreams, you could be Magic Dreamer. Who knows what other titles you will receive, but it all depends on what people call you. Your true name now is unknown until you save or lose the world for all eternity.”

            So much for being on a light subject, Blackscales thought to himself after hearing “save or lose the world”. He saw some riddle in the dwarf’s tone, and decided to just accept it and hope he would get answers later. The younger rider paced the cave floor in an annoyed mood as he thought about everything. It was just so unfair to him, not knowing anything at all except a few riddles that seemed to mean absolutely nothing.