Chapter 8

I want you to know a few things about me. My name is Emily Rosina Williams. I'm 16. I am 5'4" with blonde hair that goes to about my mid back. I have color changing eyes and I love ice cream. Mint Chocolate Chip is the best.

Those are the few things that you would tell a person you just met. Right? Ugh, I don't know. I'm not good with people.

Now I'll get a bit more personal. Earlier when I said mom I meant step mom. She's been the closest thing to a mom as I've ever had, though, so I'll just leave it at mom.

My real mom, well.... She wasn't the best role model for a 7 year old. She would stay home with me while I was too young to go to school. She died when I was 7. My dad got remarried two years after she died, to my current step mom Lindsay. He then left us on the four year anniversary of my mom's death. We don't know where he went.

One last thing. I'm confident and smart and semi pretty. That's just how I am. But really....on the inside; I'm the most scared person you'll ever meet in five lifetimes. I'm not like most people, though. I don't have a fear of spiders or heights or even clowns. No.

When most people say they're afraid to die, they don't mean it. They explain it's because they don't know what will happen. The thing is; everyone has at least an idea of what will happen. Some small form of hope. I'm just the opposite of those people fearing death.

I fear life. Most of the time it's like you're running around with a blindfold on; knocking down anything and everything you possibly can, without even meaning to. With life, you don't know what to expect. Things hit you constantly and, most of the time, you don't see them coming. That's what I fear. Moving on. Moving past and through life without that fear, that uncertainty. To be able to move and thrive. To be able to do more than survive.