Three

¤Levi¤

"There should be a crevest of some kind just around here."Hanji said pointing on the map of the ocean.

Dok nodded giving orders to his crew to head that direction. I sat in a chair observing everything and everyone since I had nothing else to do. Being stuck in a submarine for almost a month with hardly anything to do was making me feel restless. Hanji has been giving information to Dok and his team about the lost empire and what we might and might not run into along the way. Like for instance a guardian of the city that attacks anything nearing the ruins. I could tell not everyone believed what she was saying and thought of this as nothing but a wild goose chase or a chance to find treasure to bring back.

"Mr.Ackerman."A voice breaks me from my thoughts.

A short young woman with shoulder length strawberry blond hair and light honey eyes. She hands me a steaming cup of freshly made tea.

"Thank you Ms.Ral."I thanked her taking the cup from her small hands.

Petra Ral is the assistant of the bomb specialist Olou Bozado. I met Petra the second day on the sub when I found a stick of dynamite laying in the floor. I found out that she is a fan of my work and would ask questions which I didn't mind. She gave off a relaxing vibe and was good company.

"Any ideas so far sir?"She asked taking a seat next to me.

In front of me was a note book with serval notes a written in them but so far no real ideas came to mind. Petra would throw in some thing here and there which helped a bit. She would even talk me of her adventures with her team mates but she rarely goes into deep detail about them for some reason. It is as if she was ashamed of going on those trips but I never pryed.

We talked for a while longer until I decided to turn in for the evening. Upon entering the room I almost bumped into my room mate Armin Arlert, a young man with long blond hair in a bob cut and large sky blue eyes. He was the translater and researcher of the team like Hanji.

"Excuse me sir."He said nervously.

The guy was always nervous me since day one and would try to find ways to avoid me. The blond rushes off down the narrow halls as I enter the room. I climb into my bed laying on my back and stared blankly up at the ceiling.

"Why did I agree to come again?"I asked no one in particular.

I did this for my career to continue. I had another career in the past like a military officer but I couldn't stay any longer after a mission gone wrong causing PTSD to affect my job. I then decided to become a novelist,the first few were about my experiences in the field and the rest were just ideas that I figured people might relate to. My last novel was based off my nightmares.

I slowly begun to fall to sleep when a alarm woke me up. It roared through the sub as shouts of panick and orders filled the air.

"Mr.Ackerman follow me to escape pods!"Arlert said grabbing his things. I hope out of bed and grabbed my things as well. We ran through the narrow halls when the sub suddenly tips to the sude causing us to slide to into the thick glass wall. My eyes scanned the dark waters to be met with a red orb that glowered eerily back at me.

"It's a machine!"Gasped Arlert as the creature swam around the sub and grabbed it with it's metallic claws.

A machine? How is that possible? We meet up with Hanji, Erwin, Dok and Leonhardt and climbed in the mini sub and slammed the hatch shut. Pod after pod they shot out of the submarine and into the dark water. We were last to depart until the creature decided that it wanted to belliflop us causing our sub to tilt making it difficult for us to escape.Leonhardt kicked the lever over and over again until we finally exited the sub just in time before it exploded.

My heart pounded wildly against my chest as I watched the other pods get attacked, many not making it out from the crushing claws of the monster.

"There!"Hanji pointed out to a underwater cave.

Dok drove and commanded the other to follow. I counted ten mini sub and pods out of twenty emerge from the water once we were safe inside the underwater cave.

"The fuck was that Hanji!"I growled.

"The gaurdian of the city."Hanji said.

Those who were left gathered around for a small meaningful memorial for those we've lost. Out of the several hundred there was now fifty or so left.

"From now on everyone drives everyone works."Dok said to everyone. He turns to Hanji."Our lives now rest in your hands,you and that little book."

We're all gonna die, I thought feeling a hint of dread tugging at me. We were practically stuck down here with no way out. Our only way of returning to the surface was to find the damn ruins and hope there was a way out.

For several days we followed Hanji's directions through the underground caves. Up and down ,left and right ,hot and cold we continued on. There was a time she made a mistake almost causing us to get eaten by a giant bug!

Soon we came to a massive column that was hand carved. I had to admit with a impressive.

"It must've taken hundreds thousands of years to creature th-"Arlert said awe until Bozado blow it up creating a bridge to the other side.

"And I made a bridge within sed-"He started only to bite his tongue. I cringed at the amounts of blood pouring from his tongue. I was surprised he hadn't died from blood lost as much as he bites his tongue.

As we crossed I couldn't help but feel as if we were being watched. Looking over my shoulder I saw nothing out of the ordinary just broken stones.

That night we set up camp by a wide bridge. Everyone was extremely tired well everyone except for me. I had this nagging feeling in the back of my brain that someone was watching us.

"Levy!"Or it could only be shitty glasses but I doubted it.

Hanji poked her head in from the opening of my tent. Her eyes were filled with a exciting glint that almost made me shutter. She wanted to join her in to adventure through cave.

"No."I growled covering my head with my thin sheet.

"But it's so beautiful out here. Come on Levi ,just take a little peek."She begged.

With a huff I throw my covers off me and pushed her out of my way. Peeking out of the tent my breath was caught in my throat making me speachless. The walls were glowing an anonymous glow making it look like stares surrounding us. For once I was glade that Hanji's annoying voice to convince me to peek out. I finally have a piece to put in my story, I thought with relief. I was beginning this was all becoming nothing but a waste.

Unfortunately my attention from the beauty before me was taken away by the screams of Arlert.

"Fire fire fire!"He cried out.

We were both confused at the sudden outburst when a swarm of incects came at our camp and with a single touch they set tents, trucks and supplies ablaze. Hurriedly everyone retreated for the bridge but near the middle of crossing I noticed I was missing something.

"Levi!"Erwin called out as I ran back towards my tent that was in flames.

Luckily what I was looking for was unharmed but unfortunately I burned my arm while retrieving it.I head back to the bridge when a large chunk of rock collapsed on top of it! I felt my body fall along with the rubble and all went blank.