» 01: Enter R

I always found it quite strange and scary that everyone is in their own little worlds, with their own thoughts that you'll never really know about. It's a realization, honestly. That every random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own- populated with their own friends, ambitions, worries, and inherited craziness- an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill spiraling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you'll never know existed, in which you might appear only once, as an extra sipping coffee in the background, or a blur of traffic passing by on the highway, as a lighted window at dusk. But, I have also come to the realization that, just like everyone else, you can experience the pain of losing someone very close to you. That horrible grip latching itself onto your heart, squeezing it so terribly tight as that haunting realization strikes you. We all will experience such a sickening pain in our lifetimes. Such as I did.

It has also been said, "time heals all wounds." I do not agree. The wound remains. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone. It is forever with you, molding you into the person you are today. Such as myself, I decided to cut people out, isolate myself within the barren walls of an abandoned apartment building, far out on the outskirts of Gotham, and building myself a life behind the protection of a screen. No contact and no connections. No pain.

But a guys got to make a living, now doesn't he? With this bothersome truth, I had become one of Gothams most popular faceless hacker. A hacker known as R.

Message revived at 4:27 pm:

You know, kiddo, what you are doing is a very unwise move.

Which means I get caught up in some pretty sketchy business.

Three days prior, a deal between The Joker and I had fallen short. With the idea that I would willingly hand over information regarding the Justice League for free, he had received a harsh reminder that that was not how I worked. A deal is a deal, and it didn't matter who you were, you either pay up or get lost. This clown just hasn't gotten the hint yet.

Message received at 4:33 pm:

I'll give you three minutes to send that information. If not, let's just say I'll be sending a very hot virus.

This would be known as an empty threat. A tactic I had grown used to over the years. Clients thinking they could so easily scare whatever knowledge they wish to possess out of my trembling lips. Unfortunately for them, my lips don't tremble.

So, letting my fingers dance about the keys, I continued what I was doing. Surprisingly, I had received a message from the Dark Knight himself. Something I could only come to the conclusion of him being forced to do so by the JLA. But, a request is a request, and who am I to refuse? All is right and dandy as long as he doesn't find out about my almost deal with the clown. Almost is the key word by the way.

Strangely, he had asked me for information I was positive he already obtained. Artemis Crock, their newest member of their little team, as well as Green Arrows 'newest addition to the family.' Apparently, she hasn't told them everything about herself, and I wouldn't blame her. Her entire bloodline runs along the villainy side of the spectrum and having that kind of information out in the open would definitely make it difficult to befriend a community of Hero's. Kinda relatable if I do say so myself.

I glanced at the time. 4:37 pm. It appears it was an empty threat after all. Pity, I was hoping for some action tonight. No matter, talking to the Dark Knight was worth the lack of life-threatening moments, and with that, the message I had typed out was done and sent.

Now, this wouldn't really be a story if there wasn't at least some action.

For you see, right on the chime of receiving a reply, did the building erupt into an explosion of flames. With some of the bottom floors crumbling beneath me, a startled yell slipped past my lips as flames licked at my arm, burning through the fabric of my red hood and most likely adding another scar to my skin. Sliding away, I bolted for the door, hand reaching for the doorknob, only for an explosion of flames to smash through, sending me crashing to the floor.. Gripping my now burnt hand to my chest, and my laptop tighter, I crawled away into the middle of the room.

The fire had already spread to the hallway outside, all the other levels no doubt impossible for a human to go near, I'm currently on the top floor and that's really the only way out. Meaning, I'm trapped. "Fuck!" I cursed to myself, "Think dammit! Think!" I paced around in the limited room I had, smoke already clawing away at my lungs, making it difficult to breathe.

Theres no escape route. There's really no way out. " How do they make it look so easy in the movies?!" I exclaimed to the world.

Another explosion shook the building, knocking me off my feet and to harshly fall to the ground. Laptop practically being ripped from my grasp as it flew into the roaring flames. Well, there goes that.. Groaning, I rolled onto my stomach, lifting myself up by my elbow, and letting out a few coughs. My burnt arm stuck close to my chest as I sat on my knees, using my only other good arm to balance myself whilst another shake of the building caused a bit of the roof to break, debris falling loudly to the ground a little ways away from me, causing a cloud of dust to pollute the already suffocating area.

Covering my mouth and nose with the collar of my shirt, I desperately searched the room for a way out, but my vision had gradually grown to become unclear as I continued to look around the room, the warped objects blending into one another. Honestly, I was better off blind, rather than relying on my eyes right now.

I felt the dread ripping away at my insides as I collapsed helplessly on the ground. With my body quickly growing weak due to the obvious amout of lacking oxygen in the room. I watched as the flames slowly began closing in around me. "Man I am not feeling.. the aster.." With another weak cough slipping past my lips, I felt the building violently shake, knowing in mere moments it will collapse in on itself as well as on myself, becoming my permanent grave.

I couldn't help but laugh at the entire situation as I felt my eyelids grow heavy, my mind being pulled into unwanted unconsciousness.

So much for building myself a life behind the protection of a screen.

*******

Author Note:

Cue the dramatic music!

Bring on the overdramatic gasps!

And release the gay-shipping fangirls!

I am back baby! And I have returned from a long overdue Fanfiction I had promised to rewrite. That's right! Hacker R is back! Woohoo!! 👏👏👏👏

Now. I know what you're thinking (probably not). You're thinking, "JJ, what the fuck? You already have two other fanfictions out that you haven't even finished yet. We're waiting you know!" And I do know. But! I have a valid explanation for not updating those. I don't know how to continue them. Pfft. I know right? Shocking. Haha. But, I do have some good news!

I have decided that The Butterfly Effect shall have BirdFlash it. Obviously, it's going to be subtle, but it'll be there. Now, if you want some full-blown make-out sessions and skin on skin action! You're in the right book! Kind of. It'll probably happen in the second book. But, it will be there! Haha.

Now that's all I have to say and don't forget to punch that like button in the face, like a boss!! 👊 and I'll see all of you later!

-JJ