» 11: Close Calls and Hospital Walls

"Are you okay?" Slowly, I opened my eyes, all pain seeming to subside for a moment as I stared directly into his. A relieved smile graced his features as I let out a relieving sigh of my own.

"Kid Flash." I took notice of how we were no longer in the basement, but instead outside the cabin, the entire team walking up to us (Captain Marvel included). "You really are fast." I chuckled, only for it to turn into a violent cough.

My mind thought back to the night of my parents accident once again. How strange when close to death you can't help but think about these things? Wack.

"You're bleeding," Aqualad stated, running to our side. I wiped the blood from my mouth with the back of my hand, doing a marvelous job at smearing it. I wouldn't doubt I looked like I just ate someone.

"Tis but a scratch." I joked, applying pressure to my stomach. "A very deep scratch."

"We need to get him medical help immediately." Kid Flash said, worry riddling his features.

Awe, he's worried about me.

Even though he was completely right, I did need medical attention, I shook my head lightly. "No.. I need to finish my fight with Deathstroke and Joker. Where are they anyway?"

"Trapped in the basement." Kid Flash explained. "But, that's not important. Aqualad, call bats, tell him we need immediate help."

"Alright."

I groaned as he laid me down, slipping my jacket off my body. "What are you doing?" I asked, letting out a whine as he ripped the cloth into strips. "Awe.. that was my favorite jacket," I said as things began to grow blurry. I desperately tried to blink it away.

"I'll buy you a new one." He promised, tying the pieces of cloth around my bleeding shoulder, and stomach. I let out a hiss of pain. Clenching my jaw to hold back a scream. "Sorry.."

I swallowed down a mouthful of blood, clenching my eyes closed before opening them to look back up at his. "I don't see why you're helping me." I let out a shaky breath. "You hardly even know me."

"Batman's on his way with a couple other League members." Aqualad interrupted, glancing over at me. Kid Flash nodded thanking the Atlantian.

"Just hang on a little bit longer." Miss Martian soothed, kneeling down and running a hand through my hair. I didn't speak, I was too busy trying to focus on something. Anything to keep my eyes from fluttering closed.

And I continued to do just that. As Batman and the others arrived, as they took down Joker and Deathstroke, as they flew me to Mount Justice, and as they laid me on the bed, with doctors and nurses running around me. Eventually, I finally gave in, giving Kid Flash one more glance before falling into the darkness.

Why are they helping me? They barely even know me?
---------------------------------------------------------

"Joker and Deathstroke have both been locked up in Arkham Asylum, and I have made sure that they are both under constant watch. You should be safe now, but-"

"But you aren't going to let me go. Right?" I interrupted, leaning forward slightly in my hospital bed. The room grew silent for several moments, only the repetitive sound of the beeping heart monitor being heard.

"The League believes it would be best if you stayed with us." Batman began, "We could use someone like you on the team." His gaze softened slightly.

Wow. Did Batman just compliment me? Sweet.

"I already told you I don't play too well with children." I reminded.

"And I believe I told you that they were all older than you, so you have nothing to worry about." He countered with a small smile.

I felt my own smile tug at my lips. "So he has a sense of humor? Color me surprised." I chuckled. Clearing my throat, I leaned back into the pillow. "Thank you for the offer and everything else before that, but I should really decline. I mean, you've known me for a little over 48 hours, I could be some batshit crazy psycho for all you know- no pun intended." I chuckled slightly as he gave a small smirk. "Point is, I don't belong with your type. I'm nothing like you. You're all so great, and powerful, and loved. Me? I'm just some kid with a computer- was some kid with a computer. You should honestly just give up on me."

"Well.." He began, taking a seat at the edge of my bed. "If I recall correctly, I was also just some kid with a computer."

"A really big and fancy computer," I added.

"Yes. A really big and fancy computer. But, here's my point. You remind me a lot of myself when I was your age. Who knows, you may have the potential to become my protege. If you're up for it?"

I would be lying if I didn't admit I was internally screaming with joy. Not like I was going to show it. That would be totally embarrassing. Instead, I breathed out a laugh. "Wow. The nurse must've given me too much morphine because I swear you just asked me to be your protege."

"I did."

I grinned. "This has got to be some joke."

He smiled as he pulled his cowl down, revealing his entire face. "Dick, will you be my protege?" He asked once more.

I feel like I'm being proposed to.

I smirked as I folded my arms across my chest. "Will I get a clown suit too?"

"Definitely."

I let out a cackle. "Then count me in."

Oh my god. This can't be happening. I'm going to be a superhero and Batman's protege of all things. Life is just too good.

Thank you, Joker, for trying to kill me.

"Great." He spoke, standing up, and pulling his cowl back over his head. "Besides, I think I recall you telling me you thought a certain speedster was cute. Wouldn't want to leave him hanging now, would you?"

"Oh my god." I groaned, blushing into my hands. "Noooooooo." He let out another chuckle before I heard the door close with a click.

That reminds me. I still have a date to go on.

*****