And a Happy New year.

"Lilliana

"Lilliana." His voice shivered through her and she turned around.

"Hello, Damien. To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?" She turned back around. She was in the middle of hanging lights up around the meadow, weaving them through the fence in an artful way.

"What are you doing?"

"Hanging lights."

"For the party." It was more of a statement than an actual question, but she answered anyway.

"Well of course. Not everyone will be comfortable in the front and there isn't much in the way of lights back here."

"What is the point of this party?" She looked at him over her shoulder and raised an eyebrow, fighting the tremor of desire he inspired in her.

"Since when does fun require a reason?"

"And you think the pack wants this?"

"I know they do. All the women are excited, and the men pleased to gather with one another. The children will have a chance to play, and there will be food and music for everyone. Why, is this a problem for you?"

"You hide them well, but you have hidden motives."

"Yes, I'm so very diabolical that I'm hanging party lights."

"Diabolical? Perhaps."

"Did you have a problem with a party?"

"Look at me Lilliana." She stopped wrapping and turned to face him. God, he was attractive. He moved close to her but didn't touch her, though she could tell he wanted to. "What are you hiding?" She gave him her secret smile, the one that said she was hiding something and was gratified by the darkening of his gaze.

"I'm a woman Damien. I'm hiding many things. Which thing, in particular, would you like revealed?" He simply stared at her. She had been overtly flirting and it was swiftly obvious that this was new for him. "By the way, last time you were here I saw you looking at the bookshelf. I'd recommend 'The Forest of Hands and Teeth' If you're looking to borrow." She turned and kept wrapping. He put himself in front of her and pulled her close, putting his hands on either side of her face.

"Playing games with me is unwise."

"What game is it you think I'm playing?"

"I don't know. That's why I am asking you."

"Well, my first objective with this party is to stop you from avoiding me, which I knew you would be doing." He growled and pulled her closer. "The other reason is that I have a new family, and where I come from; families get together and drink and laugh and eat together, simply because they feel like it. A party fulfilled both objectives." She stepped into his arms and took his face in her own hands. "And no matter how much you are used to being alone, you still offer your protection to me and everyone else. But being alone all the time is as dangerous as a gun to the head. Sometimes alpha's need someone to protect them too. So come to the party, and be with me and the rest of your pack."