The Worst Thing You Ever did.

Of course, Damien would have to live somewhere completely remote and so difficult to reach you practically needed the woodland skills of a survivalist to get to

Of course, Damien would have to live somewhere completely remote and so difficult to reach you practically needed the woodland skills of a survivalist to get to. She was glad she had taken Boris's advice and worn long sleeves. She was a tad too warm but at least she wasn't scratched up.

The cabin Damien called his was small and tucked away under very thick tree cover. It was obvious it was only meant for one person. Obviously, this was his fortress of solitude. Suddenly nervous about intruding so boldly into his private space, she took a deep breath. It wasn't as if she could turn back now. With his senses, he would know she had come out here. With another deep breath to steady her nerves, she walked up to the door and knocked. There was nothing but silence and the sounds of birds singing to each other in the canopy above.

Lily knocked again and then tried turning the handle when she got the same result. The door was locked and it was obvious he wasn't home. Of course, she came all this way and hadn't thought to make sure he would be around. Mentally smacking herself in the head she sighed and took off the long-sleeved shirt, leaving her only with her t-shirt and jeans. She sighed in relief at the cooler garb and sat on the stump next to Damien's front door. Luckily she had brought snacks and water with her for this hike and a book as well. Then again she always had a book with her. It didn't take long for her to become engaged in the story. Before she knew it, she was four chapters in and starting in surprise at the sound of Damien's voice.

"Oh, hi Damien!" He raised an eyebrow at her.

"I called your name several times."

"Sorry. Sometimes I get so drawn in by what I read that I just don't notice anything else."

"I noticed." He studied her for a moment. "Why are you here?" His voice was low and soft.

"Because you and I need to have a conversation, and every time I try to you disappear. I figure coming to you, on your turf might be better." She moved over a little. "Want to share the stump with me?" She smiled her shy smile. He crouched down in front of her so he was looking her in the eyes. She didn't drop his gaze this time, though it was hard not to.

"There is nothing to talk about Lilliana."

"Yes, there is." He stood up and started to enter his cabin, basically dismissing her. "How about the fact that you won't even give me a chance because you don't think I should care for you?" He halted, hand on the doorknob. "How about the fact that when you look at me, I can see you feel the same as I do? Or what about the fact that I'm a little mad at you for deciding what I should and should not feel for you based on your own demons?" He turned and looked at her, his face unreadable. "I think there are plenty of topics worthy of discussion and I am not leaving here until we hash this out. I will sleep on your roof." His mouth quirked up into a half smile and she grinned back.

"You're angry with me?"

"Only a little bit." He opened the door wider.

"Then enter." He walked into the cabin, letting the door hang open. She took another deep breath and walked in after him, closing the door behind her. The cabin was tidy but small as she had thought it was. There was a sitting area that had an old worn sofa and a bookshelf full of books that looked as if they had been there a long time. There was a door beside the shelf that she assumed led to a bedroom and a small kitchen area. The living room and kitchen were separated by a countertop. Otherwise, the place was barren. It looked like an old hunting cabin that had been repurposed. Basically, it desperately needed a woman's touch. It didn't feel like a home. It felt like a shelter. She wondered how much time he spent alone in this dreary place with no company. He was leaning against the back of his couch watching her take in his home.