Blood and Magic

Hello, dear ones! Next chapter for your reading pleasure. I know I've been long to update lately and I apologize. It's been a rough year and I've had next to no free time, but I'm making this a priority again. Thank you for sticking with me and for all your patience. <3Pic above is Lily and the music video is to go with the chapter. Enjoy!

 Enjoy!

She leaned against the doorframe and watched her father's truck disappear down the dirt road, throwing up dust behind it. Where was it he went all the time? She'd worked up the courage to ask him just yesterday and he'd told her he had a job with a local lumber company. 

Even though she had no reason to disbelieve him, she couldn't help but feel he was lying to her. Perhaps it had been something off in his expression or tone. She couldn't quite put her finger on it. 

Then there was the wad of cash in her hand. He'd tasked her with getting supplies again, once more expecting her to walk to town to get it. She sighed. At least she now knew about the secret market. 

Lily grabbed the duffel bag she'd purchased last time and started making her way there. Frankly, she was excited to be going. At least it would be a change of pace from the cabin. The forest was beautiful, but she had very little human interaction except for her occasional phone conversations with Klaus and what little terse communication she had with her father. 

Truth be told, she was lonely. She frowned as she walked, drawn from her internal monologue by a sense of danger running down her spine. She halted where she was and listened harder. She could have sworn she heard something. 

For a long, tense moment she began to wonder if she was hearing things but then, there! A sort of pained whimpering sound. With a furrowed brow, she made her way quietly towards the sound. Once she reached it she stared in shock. 

There, on the ground was a very young girl. She couldn't have been more than twelve. She was covered in blood and it had soaked the ground beneath her. She was pale as a sheet and barely conscious. 

"Oh my God!" Lily ran over to the girl and knelt beside her. "Sweetie? Sweetie, can you hear me?" She tried again in Russian but the girl didn't answer her either time. She looked too far gone, and Lily was no medic. She pulled out her phone. 

"Please have service!" She saw that it did and thanked her lucky stars. Klaus had a truck and could get this girl to a hospital. She knew it would take the emergency service, located in the nearest large town at least an hour or two to get here. She dialed Klaus. "Come on, pick up." 

"Hey, Lily." He sounded lazily tired. 

"Klaus!" Her tone must have alerted him to the fact that not all was right. 

"What's wrong?"

"There's a girl in the forest. She's lost a lot of blood, and my Dad took his truck with him. I was about halfway to the market you showed me."