Chapter 14

Madam red and I play chess, while Sebastian studies the list of possible suspects again.

"Are we really supposed to be playing chess at a time like this?" I move my rook piece.

"Why worry? Leave it all to Sebastian. He can do anything." Madam Red moves a pawn forward.

"Yes, just like here in chess. But he is not an ordinary piece. He can move across the whole board in one move, like this." I move my knight piece, knocking her king piece off the board.

"Isn't that against the rules!?" Madam Red puts her piece back on the board.

"Yes, if we were talking about chess. But in the real world, rules have no meaning.  There are pawns who disobey orders. That is why you should watch your every move, before you realize... Checkmate."

Madam Red's expression changes into a worried look.

"I know why you are doing this. You don't have to extract revenge for your parents death."

"Revenge? Revenge won't make the dead happy nor will it bring them back. I am doing this for myself. " I say rubbing my sapphire blue ring.

"I've treated you like my own child, Vanessa. If your parents were here they would be really proud of what you have become." Madam Red carresses me.

"If it was up to me, I'd  like you to step down-" I did not let her finish, pushing her hand away.

"I do not want any of your pity. This is how I want it to be. No one can change that."

Madam Red leaves. I saw Sebastian and Madam Red have a little chat. Whatever it was, I was very sure it had something to do with me.

Tanaka once told me that Madam Red despised the color of red. If it wasn't for my father, Madam Red came to love red. Madam Red came to love my father. From the very day they met, Madam Red loved red. She would hate red again when my parents were married, but she could never hate my parents. It's such a silly thing what love could do to  a person.

"Are you certain they will show up here?"

"Very sure."

"What are the similarities that you have found?" I ask Sebastian.

"Black hair"

"Similarities that was so obvious. "

"Pink soft palms"

"Sebastian," I say in a low voice.

"Softness"

"Sebastian," I say in higher voice.

"Ahh! Such wondeful softness." Sebastian moans as he stroke a black cat's belly.

"Sebastian!" I yell through gritted teeth.

"Apologies, I was taken away by the wonderful softness."

"AHHHHHHHH!!!!!" A scream comes from the room we have been watching.