(5)

I'm currently in the bathroom puking my guts out. I would try to word it better but there's not much I can do to make this situation sound less disgusting. This is in fact very grotesque. After I ran to my room my stomach felt like it was in knots. I thought it was because I honestly told Memphis my thoughts but in fact it was all the ice cream. It finally hit me.

I'm gagging and spitting up all my beloved treats. They don't look so tasty now. I'm holding onto the toilet for dear life. I don't feel good at all. AT ALL!

"Alice? Are you okay?" I expect the voice to belong to Sam but instead it's Memphis's. Of course he has to see me at my worst.

"I'm in the bathroom." I groan. The doors open so he walks in unashamed.

Oh no. Here comes more.

"I don't feel so good." I explain after I finish.

He doesn't move but he looks like he wants to say something.

"Are you....pregnant?"

Are you flipping kidding me!?!?!? Just because my stomach is turning inside out I'm supposed to be pregnant. That's the first thing that comes to his mind? Not that I'm sick, but pregnant. Do I look fat? Is he calling me fat!?!? Or does he just assume I sleep around. It's probably both.

"Get out." I hiss.

"Geez I was just asking." He holds up his hands in defense. He looks like he regrets his question. Good.

"I'm just sick apparently." I don't mention that I practically ate all that DQ had to offer. If I tried hard enough I bet I could eat them out of business.

"Oh." He blushes. He actually blushes. He's like a strange little animal that is scared of people because it's never been treated right.

"It's probably from stress." I lie. He's finally showing me facial expressions and I want to press my luck.

"So this is because of me?" He looks down to the tiled floor. Awh is he feeling guilty? In a way, this is somewhat his fault. He's the one who mad me upset enough to drown my sorrows in gallons of ice cream.

"Probably." I stand up to rinse out my mouth. I use minty mouthwash I find under the sink. Memphis watches me the whole time. It makes me feel strangely uncomfortable. I wanted him to talk to me but now that he's here I want him to leave. I'm not exactly making a good impression on him.

"You good now?" He backs out of the bathroom slowly. I follow him.

"I guess." I shrug. Sam is laying on my bed eyeing me with a smug look on her face. Almost like she sees something else happening that's clearly not.

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry." Memphis finally lifts his eyes to mine. "I assumed the worst of you before even meeting you. You're right. We are similar. None of us wanted this but were forced to...sorry." He hurries to get out of my room but I grab his hand to stop him. He flinches so I let go.

"Do you want to help me set up my fish tank?" Miles would be proud.

"Um...sure..."

The fish tank is long and wide. Memphis decided that it would be better if we set it up against the wall on top of a series of tables. So we do. We spread the blue and purple rocks across the bottom along with fake seashells and a treasure chest that blows bubbles. I add in a few plants and Memphis adds in the rock cave that Miles picked out.

"I'll get the water!" Sam pipes in. She's been silently watching Memphis and I work together. Still smiling.

"I bought distilled water. It's in one of those bags." I point to the pile of stuff next to the door. She grabs a few gallons and hands one to me and the other to Memphis. She gets one for herself and we all pour the water in slowly.

"It's so pretty!" I smile lazily at the tank. We all made this; together.

"We need to keep the fish in their bags while we get them used to the water temperature." Memphis plops several bags into the clear water. We wait for awhile and then open the bags to let the fish explore their new palace.

"This was fun." I beam at both Sam and Memphis.

"It was." Sam agrees.

"Yeah." Memphis yawns. "But it's getting late." He stands up to leave but stops at the door and looks back at me. "Goodnight Alice. Sam." He nods then goes off to the opposite side of the house.

"I guess you storming out of the house today was good. You scared the hell out of me but you seemed to have cleared your head."

"It's all because of my Marriage Guru." I laugh.

Sam retires to her room an hour after Memphis leaves. I get ready for bed slipping on a loose oversized t-shirt. I turn the light on in the fish tank and my room light off. It glows in the large room giving off a calm feeling. Before I go to sleep I send a text.

Young Grasshoper: He's trying too.

Marriage Guru: It's all about compromise. :)

Young Grasshoper: Looks like you're helping someone after all. Thank you oh wise one. Goodnight.

Marriage Guru: Glad to be of service my young pupil sleep well. This was only day one.

And there are even more obstacles to overcome.