(10)

Memphis is waiting outside of the house, pacing. I park my car but I don't move. I watch Memphis watch me. He expects me to go to him but I'm tired of being the one who always has to make the first move. I want him to make an effort. I sit and I wait. He stops pacing and rolls his eyes. He walks over to my car and opens my door for me.

"Whoa." I get out and he shuts the door abruptly. "You...look...."

"Stunning? Thank you but I'm already aware." I flip my hair in the wind to add effect. Even though there is no wind and I have too much hair product in to make my hair move.

"Black."

"Oh is my inner self showing?" I laugh and then my cheeks grow warm. I should've cleaned up, I know. I'm still covered in heavy black paint and I'll admit it's suffocating and it's starting to irritate my skin. "I need a shower." And as if Mother Nature has a sense of humor it starts raining and the dried paint turns fresh again.

"I'm melting!" I joke. Memphis looks down to see a puddle of black surrounding me. What he does next absolutely stupifies me. Memphis's rock hard face cracks into a smile revealing a beautiful set of pearly whites. I feel a sense of triumph because I know I caused it; I smile back. Memphis should smile more often, it's contagious.

"I guess witches do melt when water is added."

My smile drops. He's ruined the mood.

"It's a joke!" He throws his hands up in defense. "Some people just can't handle humor." My smile returns once I realize he's saying something similar to what I said to him a few days ago.

"I never pegged you for a guy with a sense of humor. It suits you." He eyes me strangely wondering why I'm willingly giving him a compliment. What happened in his past to make him always question things?

"Go inside and clean up. We need to talk."

Normally if someone says "we need to talk" a break up is about to happen. His statement makes my heart flutter instead. He wants to talk to me. He's going to pay attention to me! I'm not going to want to murder him anymore! Praise the lord.

I take a shower which takes a lot longer than I expected it to. The paint would not come off no matter how hard I scrubbed. Bits and pieces went away but there is still a large amount varies places on my body. I put on a sports bra and a cut off shirt. I then put on my comfy black and grey shorts. My wet hair sticks to my neck free from all the hairspray and gel I usually put in it. I look comfy yet cute at the same time.

Memphis is waiting for me on the couch so I plop down next to him. His eyes flicker up and down my body. Why does this action make me feel so good about myself? He's checking me out! This is the first time Memphis has seen me as myself. I'm usually dressed in tight clothes with my hair a wicked style but right now I'm fresh and I feel naked. I'm exposed and completely vulnerable. I see surprise take over his perfect features. He never knew I could look so different. I'm not sure if he likes how I look or not. Wait a minute...why should I even care!?!?

"I just want to say I'm sorry. I haven't been treating you fairly and I've been hurting you. I've been taking my anger from my father and taking it out on you."

"Wait a minute, back up. Why are you suddenly apologizing now?" Not that I'm not happy that he's giving me an apology, but it is a little weird. He's been on radio silence for days and now put of the blue he's not just talking to me but apologizing.

"Umm." He shifts next to me which makes the couch move. He doesn't know how to word what he wants to say. Or maybe he doesn't know if he should say it. "Sam told me you were...crying..."

Damn you Sam, that was classified information!

"At first I didn't really plan to do anything about it until I found my door destroyed. I realized that what you're feeling is pretty serious. I'm really sorry Alice."