(13)

The party is in full swing and I call it a party because that's really what it is. Nessa calls it a Scare Fest but usually there is no scaring involved. It's just a fancy way of saying that she's throwing a costume party. There's loud music and strange looking people dancing all over each other. The old creeky barn is dim and cold but everyone seems to be enjoying the atmosphere.

"Sam, would you like to dance with me?" Garrette bows like a prince asking Cinderella to dance.

"Umm." Sam looks to me nervously but nods her head determined. Garrette pulls her away out of sight. I feel Candy fidget next to me wanting to search for someone of her own to dance with.

"Go ahead." I say. "You don't have to stay tied to me." I expect her to refuse but she breaks into a smile and leaves me in a split second.

Wow....she could've at least pretended she wanted to stay...

I'm left alone slouching on the splintering wood of Nessa's barn. My thoughts return back to Memphis. If he was here he would stand next to me making fun of everyone and occasionally throwing insults at me. Even that sounds better than what I'm doing now. My jeans feel stiff because of the dried mud on them and I feel gross.

"Alice my girl!" Nessa floats over to me smiling like the sun. "You look lonely have a drink." She thrusts a cup full of liquor towards me. Unfortunately she spills it all down me in her drunken state. "Oh I'm so sorry!" She drops the half full cup which splashes all over my shoes to brush off the liquid on my shirt.

"Just stop Nessa! It's soaked in it's not gonna brush off." I grab her wrists to stop her from feeling me up.

"You can borrow some of my clothes. They're up at the house, you can just take whatever you want." Nessa stumbles. "I'll take you if you want."

"I think I can manage." I push her towards someone else in the same state as her. I bet they'll have a wonderful conversation.

I look around the barn for my friends. I spot Sam first and sprint over to her.

"Sam can you come with me to Nessa's house? I don't want to go alone." Just before she answers Garrette swoops in and spins her around by the waist.

"Alice, isn't she just the best!" Garrette blushes all over turning the same shade of pink Sam is turning.

"Yeah she's great. Nevermind I'll ask Candy."

"Wait Alice I'll go!"

"It's alright I don't want to get in the way of....well....whatever that is." I motion to the both of them.

I have worse luck with Candy.

She's currently making out with Kylie's (a.k.a. the actual prom queen) ex boyfriend Seth. I ask her to go with me anyways. She pushes Seth away gasping for air.

"I'm a little busy Alice!" She scolds and returns to sucking off Seth's face. She's always like this! She always finds a guy and then suddenly I become less important. If I was hanging off a cliff and some random guy was too and she could only save one, she'd save the man. If I was in the same situation I'd only save the guy if he had a hot fudge cake with him but still, at least I have standards! Any guy is good to her it doesn't matter if he's a drug dealer or just a complete jerk she'd drop everything for him and leave me hanging.

I storm out of the barn into the nippy autumn air. Leaves are flowing across the ground while the wind smells earthy. It's a nice feeling but at the same time it's eerie. I speed walk to Nessa's house and enter silently. A few lights are on but nobody is inside. Nessa's parents always leave for the night when she holds her Halloween party. I turn on more lights as I walk down the hallway to Nessa's room. I search her dresser drawers until I see a baggy t-shirt and jeans to match. I hurriedly throw on the clean clothes. Just as I'm about to leave, the front door opens stopping me.

Brad walks in.

"Whoa. It's Alice!" Brad smiles lazily. "I haven't seen you since you broke my heart babe."

"The party is in the backyard Brad." I ignore his previous comment. He smells like he's already been drinking so that means he was already at the barn....he purposely came here. For me.

"Oh is it?" He looks up to the ceiling like the man upstairs is going to tell him "Yes my son. The party is that way!"

"I'll take you back." I go to open the front door but he blocks the entrance.

"No more running away Alice." Brad snears. "I think it's time you give me a proper explication." He grabs my wrist.

"It's explination you moron. Let me go." I gritt my teeth. Where is my supposed best friend that is never going to leave me? Oh that's right she's sucking faces with Seth; I almost forgot.

"No!" Brad drags me towards the kitchen. "Tell me why you broke up with me!"

"BECAUSE YOU'RE LIKE THIS!" I shout. Brad pushes me against the counter top causing me to cringe. That's going to leave a bruise. "I never knew what to expect with you! Sometimes you were overly affectionate and at times you were cold. Then you're like this! I didn't want you to hurt me." I pant. I'm shaking all over. This is exactly what I never wanted to happen. Brad has lost his temper and I'm the one going to take the hit for it.

"You-" he let's go and it actually looks like he's tearing up. "Did I ever lay a hand on you when we were together?" He looks down at me with puppy dog eyes. It's true that when we were dating he never hit me. I knew he was capable of hurting me so I cut him off in case he would.

"I mean I thought I was doing everything right. I really did love you Alice."

"I'm sorry Brad."

He glares at me.

"We could've talked about it! We could've worked it out but no! You don't like to talk about anything ever!"

"Brad calm down." He grabs my wrists again dragging me to the door that leads down to the basement.

"I think you need to cool your head Alice. I'll come get you when you've thought about what you did wrong." He opens the door and pushes me down the stairs. He shuts and locks the door.

I lay in pain for a few minutes. I could've broken my neck! Brad could've killed me! I look around the basement. It's too dark to make anything out. All I see is darker shapes here and there.

I'm scared.

"Calm down. It's okay. Just call Candy."

I call her and she doesn't answer. Neither does Sam or Garrette. Panic sets in quickly and my brain starts to shut down.

All I'm thinking is help me.

Someone please help me!

I'm going to be left here forever.

I need to get out of here!

Someone please help me.

Garrette! Candy!

......MEMPHIS!....

I call Memphis, no answer.

Anyone!

I'm going to be sick! It's so dark here and cold. This isn't how I thought tonight was going to go. Tonight was supposed to be fun and exciting. I don't want to be here. How did this even happen? One minute I'm laughing and goofing around with my friends and now I'm locked away from everyone. I'm alone and I'm scared. I can't believe this happened to me. Why? Why! And why isn't anyone noticing my disappearance? Am I really that unimportant? Am I just a placeholder in people's lives? I'm there when they need me but when I need them I'm disposable? I'm clearly not thinking straight anymore. I look around frantically, looking for a way out.

I see a window.

There!

I can't wait for someone to come and save me. I'm forgettable anyways. I'm just going to have to save myself. For the first time in my life.

I am going to save myself.