Chapter 5 ~How Does She Do It?~

Ashlee walked into the office wearing less professional than normal clothing, "Thank god you're here-", she smirked, "Sorry Winn, I'm not here. I simply have to double check something for Miss Grant and then I am going to enjoy my day off with a friend." She smiled and walked into Cat's office, "The point of a day off Aimee is to not come in and enjoy yourself." She chuckled, "I'm aware of that Miss Grant, but I have something I thought you'd want to double check before I agreed for it to be released." She wore a smile and Cat looked at her, Ashlee handed the tablet over with a smirk, "Maxwell Lord has a mystery girl.", Ashlee nodded, "Apparently, the paparazzi snapped that from a show last night. Catco bought the rights to the picture, do you want it ran or not?", Cat smiled, "Tell them to not publish it anywhere." Ashlee nodded, "Of course, then I will be on my way out to enjoy my day. Shoot, I'm late for my breakfast date." Cat smiled, "Go, I'll handle it." Ashlee smiled, "Thank you Miss Grant." She hurried out and her friends stared after her, "Whoever is seeing her has her in better mood than usual." Kara nodded and Winn sighed, "I want to know who it is. She's not told you anything? Like at all? No hints or anything?", James looked at him, "Why are you so interested in her love life Winn?" Cat walked out, "Why indeed, back to work. Catco can still function with only one assistant. Chop chop." Cat smirked at Winn's reaction but knew by Ashlee's smiles and eyes that she was over the IT guy.

Ashlee laughed, "That's so dumb. I can't believe you hired someone who couldn't think of that simple solution." Max smiled, "Haha. Not everyone is as smart as me, nor as nice and handsome." She chuckled, "Okay Mr. Self Esteem." He smiled at her and she blushed slightly, "Oh I'm sorry I was late this morning." He shook his head, "No worries, but what held you up?", she glanced down, "Someone got a picture of us leaving the show last night. Luckily Catco completely bought the rights to the photo." He looked at her, "Do you not want people to know that we are seeing each other." She rolled her lips, "I want it to be on our terms Max, when we tell them, not when the paparazzi sells the picture to someone." He sighed, "I know, I understand. How about tomorrow night, you be my date for the opening of the train. We can tell them then." She smiled, "If you'd really want to, I mean, I want to." He smiled, "Why would I suggest it if I didn't want it?", she smiled and kissed him, "Maybe to butter me up for something." He chuckled and kissed her nose making her giggle slightly, but his phone rang, "What? Really? Okay. Give me twenty minutes." He looked at her, "I'm so sorry Ash, one of my drones was stolen." She nodded, "It's alright, go figure out who ransacked your futuristic technology. I'll see you for dinner tonight at 8." He nodded, "Of course." She smiled and gave him a small kiss, "Bye and stay safe." He nodded, "Always." The ground rumbled and Ashlee changed quickly and flew off toward the direction of the building that had a bomb in it. Ashlee held the building up while Kara used her heat vision on the beams, then the two used their ice breath to put out the fire. They smiled at each other and the people cheered, Ashlee nor Kara noticing the drone flying above them. Ashlee hugged Kara and flew off.

Ashlee sat at her balcony and smiled, "Oh, I was expecting you for lunch." She turned and saw Winn, "I really wasn't expecting you. Winn, what are you doing here?", he looked at her, "Who is the guy?", she softly smiled, "Winn, I'm not sure if this guy is ready to be talked about with my best friend." He scoffed, "You've gone on 8 dates since Thanksgiving, he text you at work, he sends you gifts, he has lunch brought in when he can't meet you. Who is he?", she looked at him, "Why do you care Winn? He's making me happy, isn't that all that matters?" She looked at him, her phone buzzed, "I have to go, I have to meet him for lunch." She hurried off and made her way to Lord Technologies. "-so anyone invested in maintaining the status quo would be interested in targeting me.", her heels clacked and she scrunched her nose up, "I'm sorry, am I interrupting?" Max smiled, "Of course not, we're almost done." She smiled and walked into the lab, "Let's narrow it down to former employees with access to the lab, who know how to modify the tech, and have a personal grudge against you." Ashlee frowned, "If this isn't a good time we can go some other-", Max shook his head and kissed her forehead, "No, it's fine." Hank looked at the pair, "Agent Danvers, you're staying behind to protect Maxwell Lord and his little girlfriend." Max turned and Alex looked at Ashlee who sent a smile her way. "So we get lunch and then we can go and get ready for tonight." Ashlee nodded, "Of course." Alex looked at them and noticed the smile on Ashlee's face that she hadn't seen before, Alex softly smiled at that and Max smiled at Ashlee. "I have to go check on Kara, she's babysitting Cat's son Carter. So we are going to have to stop by Catco, then lunch. Agent Danvers, is this really necessary? I think we will be fine." Ashlee sent a look that meant agree with her or be fried and Alex sighed, "Alright, just give me a call if you need me." Ashlee nodded and Alex left, "Let's go check on Carter." Max smiled at her and the two left the building.