Chapter 10 ~Childish Things~

Ashlee was just finishing unpacking when her phone rang, "Hello-what do you mean Lucy has moved to National City? As in, like, oh. Oh my god." The brunette sat down. She glanced down, "She is training with Hank and I have been given my two weeks to get prepared for working at the DEO.", she sighed, "I know, but I needed a change. I couldn't be Cat Grant's assistant forever. I promise it isn't just because of m-him." She smiled, "Tell Lois I say Hi. Alright, bye." She hung up and sat down, turning on the tv. "The criminal known as 'Toyman' to his fellow inmates escaped from the Van Krull Maximum Security Prison this morning. Toyman got his name-", Ashlee stood up and quickly changed, "Winn.", and ran out.

Ashlee ran into the room with a glare, "No, he wouldn't even know where to look." Ashlee slammed her purse down and planted her hands firmly on the table, "This questioning is over, now. Leave." A tone no one had ever heard from the girl made itself known and a glare that could kill was on her face, "His father hasn't contacted him, his father hasn't attempted to contact him. He doesn't know who his father would contact. Based on the dead bodies, his father hates people." The FBI Agent looked at the brunette, "As his son, he must-", Ashlee's voice snapped scaring Kara and the lady, "Finish that statement and I'll have your badge for false allegations." She grabbed her purse and Winn's wrist, leaving the room with a slam of the door. The two stood outside on the balcony and Winn sighed, Ashlee tilted her head and licked her lips, "What did he send you?" He sighed again, "He wasn't always like this. He was a good dad, he was normal. We would go to his workshop and tinker, build a toy." Ashlee placed her hand on his, "Winn-", Winn looked at their hands and then at her, "His boss stole his toy designs and got rich off of them. He didn't say anything, he didn't stand up for himself. He put a bomb in a teddy bear. Then he sent one to his boss, but his assistant opened the package. It killed her and five other people." Winn looked at her and send a small smile, he could she the pain in her eyes from the breakup, but the worry for her friend was covering it well. "I found this on my desk this morning.", Ashlee x-rayed the toy, relieved there wasn't a bomb. "Son, come meet me at our favorite place. I'll be waiting for you." Ashlee shook her head, "I can't let you go. I can go, he can't hurt me." She hugged Winn, "I will leave an Agent here in case your father shows up." Ashlee glared, "I have already made a call for protection. I have to go report to my commanding officer." She rushed off and changed into her Haven suit, quickly flying the balcony and landing. The FBI Agent's eyes widened, "What's the plan?", Ashlee wore a smirk and Winn softly smiled.

Ashlee stood on a building roof by the harbor, "It still smells like fish.", she laughed lightly and pressed her ear comm, "Come on Winn, it can't be that bad." He glanced in her direction with a smile and she smiled. He could see it but he knew, she was trying to distract him from the fear. Winn walked into the arcade and her heart was pounding. Ashlee was getting anxious and Kara whispered, "Don't do anything stupid." Ashlee rolled her eyes, "I'm Haven and I am scared to death for our friend alright. Pardon me for my twitchy state." She closed her eyes and focused on the arcade, "I love you. Do you love me?", she heard footsteps, "Dad?" She gulped, "Something isn't right." She stood still. "God, look at you." She went to take off, "Dad, you need to turn yourself in.", the older man answered, "I broke out of prison for you, for us. I'm sorry I was gone so long." She flew off and hovered over the arcade ready to bust in, "You need a doctor, okay? You need help." She farrowed her eyebrows, "My son. My good boy. My greatest work." Winn scoffed and Ashlee had to keep her self from flying in and knocking the older man out, "I thought this was your greatest work." Ashlee saw the FBI moving in and she listened, "I was not okay, I watched my dad get dragged off to prison when I was 11 for murder. How okay could I be after that, dad?" She sighed, "Weapons free!", she busted in and shielded his dad only to see glass falling. "I told you to come alone. Now run.", Ashlee tilted her head, "Run." Gas started filling the air and Ashlee quickly slapped her hand over Winn's mouth and nose before sucking in the gas. She looked Winn and sent him a nod before flying away and releasing the gas into the Ozone. She heard the FBI agent grilling Winn and she quickly landed and changed before storming in, "Together we can do anything." Ashlee glared, "The guy is crazy. I've already told you, Winn knows nothing. Keep this up and I will get you for harassment as well." It was a snarl and she stood by Winn, tall and proud. The Agent walked off and Ashlee coughed, "Are you okay?", she nodded, "Are you?", a man walked by, "They're going to kill him." Ashlee looked at him, "Winn, I swear I will do everything to prevent that." He looked at her, "I can't ask you to do that." She sent a small smile, "But I am going to because you are my friend Winn. Think of all the things you've done to help Kara and me. Without you we would be in the dust, Kara would have a crap suit, and Cat wouldn't be your boss. Winn you don't see it, but we need you. I need you. When everything happened between Max and I, it wasn't Kara or James that came to my side, it was you. I believe when your dad says he misses you, because if you weren't in my life. I would be lost too, and heartbroken." He smiled at her, "Please, just let me help you." He smiled, and her phone binged and her heart stopped, "Ash?", she shook her head, "It's alright. Let's go to my new house." He looked at her phone reading the text, "Looks like Max has moved on pretty quick.", attached was a photo of Max Lord on a date with Alex. She walked away with a sigh.