Chapter Twenty-One

"Veneer you didn't call me all weekend." Grace said. "What the fuck?"

"I'm sorry. I got this girl I'm talking to and a been with her." He said.

"So, you're cheating on me now?" Grace joked.

"You cheated first." He said.

"I'm kidding. Who is she? I'm glad you're finally talking to someone." Grace said all at once.

"Calm down." Veneer said. "She's over there." He said nodding in her direction. "She's calling me over there I'll talk to you later. "

"Just leave me then." Grace said watching him walk away. He ignored her and hugged his girlfriend. She glared at Grace and Grace furrowed her eyebrows. She shrugged and walked away. Jerome walked up behind her hugging around her waist.

"Look at you with ya glasses on. Looking all smart." He said. Grace smiled and turned around kissing him.

"Yeah I have to buy new contacts." She said. "Until then I'll be rocking these."

"Ok." He said. "I don't mind."

"Wouldn't matter if you did." She said walking off.

"Stop playing. I didn't mean it like that." He said following her and picking her up. Grace laughed drawing attention to them. She covered her mouth and shook her head.

"Jerome put me down." Grace said.

"Say you know I was playing."

"You know I was playing." Grace said.

"Oh you wanna play smart?"

"That's what you told me to say." She said. "So now you have to put me down."

"Tell me you know I was playing."

"I know you were playing." She said trying to fend him off as he started tickling her. "I have to go to class." She said trying to pull away.

"You always get away." Jerome said following her holding on to her hand as she pulled him.

"Jerome you're heavy." Grace said.

"Go make good grades for me." He said kissing her back of her hand and letting it go.

"Don't be late to class." She said walking into Veneer with a smile. "I'm soooo happy for you, but why did you ignore me?"

"I didn't ignore you." He said.

"Yeah, I said something as you walked away and you didn't respond."

"Oh I didn't hear you." He said.

"Well, what grade is she in because I've never seen her." Grace said.

"Sophomore." He said. Grace shook her head. "What?"

"You're a Senior."

"So, I like her." He said.

"Well, as long as you're happy I'm happy." She said. "You'll take me home after school?"

"Yeah, of course." He said. "You the one that stopped showing up after school."

"Only on Tuesdays and Thursdays, those are my tutoring days." She said. "The other times I was just riding with Jerome, but imma start going home after school again because I almost have a B in APEco and I need that to go up a lot to stay ahead of you."

"You know, it's always better when your competition is your bestfriend." Veneer said. "Because that means there's no one better than us."

"Yeah, right." Grace agreed walking through the halls with him.