H for Happy

Happy

"Hey Jack, I got news for you", my best friend, Kim, says and looks kind of nervous. I rest my hand on her shoulder and smile kindly at her. Even if everybody, well except her, teases me about having a crush on her while I just deny it all the time, it kind of is right. Well, kind of. I don't have a crush on her, honestly.

"Chill, Kim, it's fine. You know, you can trust me and tell me everything."

The thing is, I don't just have a crush on her. I had it, like, till one year and a half after I met her, back when we were fourteen. We are seventeen now and I realized when I was just about to turn sixteen that this 'little crush' on my best isn't what it is supposed to be. I realized that I might love her. And since then I realized that I am completely in love with her, Kim, my best friend. And here she is, worrying about something she wants to tell me. I just had to sooth her.

"I know", she sighs while smiling at me. "You see, my last boyfriend broke up with me like two months ago, right?"

How could I forget that? It was almost the best night, I ever had because at this night, my Kim returned from being distant. It was like there hadn't even been a boyfriend.

"Well, I thought, I was past that break-up and... well, I said yes to date a boy in our school."

I sigh, knowing very well that she wouldn't change her mind. You see, even if I am completely in love with her, she doesn't know that and will, most likely, never know it. It is because she just doesn't see me like that. For her, I'm just her best friend who happens to be a boy. Well, at least that's what she says to all her friends, her family and also me. But I really know, that we could be a special thing, not like every other love. I know I make her happy because whenever she is around me, she's really... special.

"That's great, I think. But, just so you know, I'll watch out for you."

The smile she gives me is everything I need, then the following hug... it is amazing. While hugging me, causing my feelings to go crazy, she whispers in my ear: "Wouldn't want it any other way."

The boy who asked her to date him turned out to be the captain of the football team our school, Nicholas. Great, just great. Well, but let's just say, I know that they wouldn't hold really. Right now, he is in our dojo, watching us train (well, watching her train, but because she was sparring with me, it happens that he is also watching me).

When practice is over, we head into our changing rooms and I don't miss Nicholas' stare straight at Kim's behind. I snicker under my breath but say nothing. It is clear to me that he knows nothing about her and her kind and loyal personality, but just goes for her because of her looks. It's like a curse to her. She always ends up hurt and I don't want that.

"Have you seen that stare straight at Kim's butt?", Jerry asks while we are changing. Thank you, Jerry, thank you. Now I know that I'm not crazy. Milton shakes his head in disbelieve but I know, he saw it too.

"I can't believe that she has another guy who just likes her because of how she looks. I mean, of course she is beautiful and all that - and everybody knows that - but she has so much more than just her looks."

Eddie nods and adds to Milton's little speech: "Why doesn't she see that? I mean, it's so obvious."

"Love makes blind", I say quietly but all of the three hear me. They know about my feelings but they also know that I want her to figure her feelings out by herself.

"Well, I don't think that she loves him", Milton says and looks at me funny.

"I don't think, he meant it like that", Jerry says quickly and looks at me, smirking a bit and I return it.

"You're right." That is the only thing, I say but Jerry explains it to the other two.

"Well, we all know how much Kim is affected by Jack. Because she loves him, even if she doesn't want to see it. So, you see, she loves him but she doesn't want it and so she search for another boy who gives her attention but never really notices why he gives her that attention, you know?" Eddie and Milton both shake their heads in confusion, I roll my eyes.

"What Jerry wants to say is that her love to me is making her blind and she feels the love but wants it to be for someone else. So she just searches for someone who gives her attention, not really bothering the reason behind it. Got it now?"

Both of them nod in surprise but also a bit taken back.

"We should probably head outside, shouldn't we?"

Awkward. That is the one word which could describe the situation right now.

It is two weeks after Kim has told me about her decision to go out with Nicholas and right now, we are getting home from a party. With Nicholas as the shotgun while I am driving. You might ask why I am driving him home... well, Kim insisted that I would drive her and him home... And now she is at home, while we are together in one car, alone. Without Kim.

"So... this is awkward", Nicholas says and I chuckle.

"And that is true."

"Well... you two, Kim and you, seem close." It is a statement but I hear it as a kind of question because... well, if your best friend's boyfriend says that, it either means like back off or am I even good enough for her?. But, I'll just go with the phrase.

"We are. She's my best friend and I couldn't live without her. We've known each other since three years but it feels like forever. She knows me like the back of her hand and the other way around."

"Oh."

Another silence. I decide to break it and, well... try another thing.

"So, you see, I'm the guy every other boy wants to be."

He chuckles lightly and asks: "So you think, you're that amazing?"

I pull up at his gateway and he opens the door. Before he gets to close it, I quickly says: "You know, I'm cocky. But this is just the real world. I'm the guy that every other boy wants to be and that is because I make her happy. Have a good night."

He closes the door in trance and I drive away, widely smirking. I have a good feeling about it.

And I am right. The next day, Kim is in front of me and says that he has said to her that they would be better as friends. But what surprises me the most is the fact that she's smiling through my soothing.

"Why are you smiling?"

She shrugs and hugs me before whispering in my ear: "You're here, so I'm very, very happy."

And as Jerry would call it; I am whipped.